Thread: Question re: California ammo laws

Question re: California ammo laws

My state (WA) wants desperately to be California, politically, and I understand there is an ammo bill brewing this year that would emulate CA ammo sales. I haven't been able to find text/abstract of the bill yet.

So my typical ammo consumption, annually, is 6000-8000 rounds of 9mm, around 1000 12 gauge, say 500 or so 5.56, and a smattering of .380 and .38. I am increasingly using my G44 as a training stand-in (for drills that don't involve recoil control), thus reducing my 9mm expenditure...so add some .22 as well.

If WA goes the way of CA, how do I lay hands on this much ammo every year? (Setting aside the great difficulty of finding that much in the current market). I know internet sales are out; would a dealer be able to order it for me by the case? Aside from other hoops to jump, is there any restriction on how much you can buy at once? Anything else I need to be mindful of?

Thanks.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    My state (WA) wants desperately to be California, politically, and I understand there is an ammo bill brewing this year that would emulate CA ammo sales. I haven't been able to find text/abstract of the bill yet.

So my typical ammo consumption, annually, is 6000-8000 rounds of 9mm, around 1000 12 gauge, say 500 or so 5.56, and a smattering of .380 and .38. I am increasingly using my G44 as a training stand-in (for drills that don't involve recoil control), thus reducing my 9mm expenditure...so add some .22 as well.

If WA goes the way of CA, how do I lay hands on this much ammo every year? (Setting aside the great difficulty of finding that much in the current market). I know internet sales are out; would a dealer be able to order it for me by the case? Aside from other hoops to jump, is there any restriction on how much you can buy at once? Anything else I need to be mindful of?

Thanks.
    You will need to pass a background check for each purchase. A FFL or ammo vendor can process the check. In theory you can order your ammo from an online distributor and they will ship it to your FFL for the check in the same way firearms are transferred. In practice, most distributors have stopped taking such orders from Californians due to the hassles involved. Additionally, places like WalMart have stopped selling ammo all together. There is no limit on amount you can purchase (yet). It is a pain in the ass and makes getting ammo these day basically impossible. Best bet is to defeat this BS before it becomes law.

Hi, to purchase Ammo, you buy in store and produce your license. They run a quick background check and the ammo is released. You can buy several thousand rounds. I’ve picked up 1.5 rounds and no one batted an eye.

For online, you have to find a vendor that is willing to sell to your state. You have to have the ammo sent to an FFL. Then buy on their website . The website should have the FFL listed . One the ammo is delivered, you FFL contacts you, pay and admin fee, a background check, then you pick up the ammo.

An ammo law in WA may have be different than what occurs in CA. If it comes to pass, and is similar to CA:

1. Talk to your local gun store about receiving bulk purchases - they will know what online ammo stores ship to your state. They receive the packages after all.
    2. Reload. Components are not regulated (currently).

Of course, best to defeat the bill if you can. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    2. Reload. Components are not regulated (currently).
    Assuming there's nothing in pending legislation in WA prohibiting loading your own, this is the correct answer, especially for 9mm and .223/5.56. The savings on 6-8000 rounds of 9mm/year will pay off a Dillon 650/750 or Hornady LnL AP pretty quickly even when/if ammo pricing ever gets back to normal, and while I don't personally load .223/5.56, my understanding is that the savings are even greater there.

Of course the fact that primers are currently almost completely unavailable makes it difficult to get started now, but that in no way means that you shouldn't be saving brass and buying the machine and all of the components you can actually get your hands on right now in anticipation of picking up a large pile of primers when they eventually become readily available again.

If you're a high volume shooter or collector in California and don't have a particularly good FFL nearby (at least for ammo), you can get your own curio & relic FFL along with a California certificate of eligibility which then allows you to buy ammo online and have it shipped to your house. It isn't worth it for the average joe because aside from the hassle, it'll cost $200-$300 to set up and maybe $100 or so to maintain every year thereafter.

One other thing: If you ever want to sell some of your ammo, all ammo sales must go through a licensed ammo dealer. And if you want to sell more than 500 rounds in (I think) 1 month, you will have to become a licensed ammo dealer yourself. That's right, selling a brick of 22 without a license is against the law...
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-18-2021 at 02:36 AM.

Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Thanks, guys.
    I have had no issues getting bulk ammo shipped to my FFL. And most online sellers ship cases for free. There is typically a handing charge of some kind by the FFL but buying in bulk and getting what you want is worth it to me. This was all pre-shortage but all of the places I bought from before the new law went into effect figured out how to keep shipping to CA in compliance with the law and kept doing so. Obviously the specifics of your law will be paramount but I doubt it will be more stringent than CA.

User Tag List