Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combat Shroud, silly or does it have merit?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I'm in no way qualified to say if it's a better mousetrap for handgun retention. Maybe we can throw up the bat signal for comments from @SouthNarc ?

The very first commercially manufactured muzzle stand off device that I can remember was the Alternative Force Block manufactured by GG&G that was pushed by Chris Carracci, Harry Humphries, and Denny Chalker when they were the hotness in the 90s. It mounted on the frame and had very aggressive checkering on the muzzle end for striking. Generally a hardware solution for a software problem, and remember these were the days when what I call "Entangled Shooting" was an afterthought and not a developed sub-system of shooting. None of this stuff was pressure tested back then.

The device in the video seems more aimed towards keeping the slide reciprocating if someone grabs it. Don Gulla of Arrestling is in the video and the device supports his G-Wrap weapons retention and shooting technique.

Don has a legitimate system of entangled gunfighting that's quite different from mine. I don't agree with what or how he does, but he is a legitimate peer in the field and one of the few guys that's put in quite a bit of time in developing the area of within arms reach shooting and fighting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If my job was assaulting in tight spaces with a pistol as a primary weapon, I might want a stand-off device.
    Sorry if I'm outside my lane. But doesn't a full size weapon mounted light already act as a stand off device?
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Sorry if I'm outside my lane. But doesn't a full size weapon mounted light already act as a stand off device?
    I’m no expert either. A light such as an X300u would help. I doubt it would be as effective as a shroud such as in the OP.

I'd rather have a bayonet.

First, stabbing a motherfucker in the face with your pistol would be the word that is beyond awesome.

Mainly though, when things start getting hairy, I would would get to tell my partner:"FIX...bayonets!"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    The device in the video seems more aimed towards keeping the slide reciprocating if someone grabs it. Don Gulla of Arrestling is in the video and the device supports his G-Wrap weapons retention and shooting technique.

Don has a legitimate system of entangled gunfighting that's quite different from mine. I don't agree with what or how he does, but he is a legitimate peer in the field and one of the few guys that's put in quite a bit of time in developing the area of within arms reach shooting and fighting skills.
    And this, sir, is why I continue to pay rapt attention when you post. Integrity, knowlege, openess. And watching Cecil text you pictures of Mango Margaritas. And Tom watching and laughing.

Oh, and this, too...."with a wash cloth hanging off my manhood like a surrender flag on a French infantryman's rifle, when Biloxi PD busted in"

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 01-18-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I'd rather have a bayonet.

First, stabbing a motherfucker in the face with your pistol would be the word that is beyond awesome.

Mainly though, when things start getting hairy, I would would get to tell my partner:"FIX...bayonets!"
    Your wish has been granted.
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...l-bayonet/amp/

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editoria...12009wo/138362

User Tag List