Thread: Shipping a complete frame

Shipping a complete frame

If you can ship a slide assembly by UPS/FE, and it not be considered a 'firearm', is it safe to assume the same thing applies to the frame? I'm considering sending off my P30 frame for a spring change, and sending just the frame would save a LOT on insurance, since my slide assembly is all NP3, and the general shipping would be pretty cheap. (assuming the smith will agree to receive it this way for the work?)

Site Supporter
    I don't believe this is accurate. The frame is the serialized portion of most handguns and therefore considered by the ATF to be the firearm and must be shipped as such to an FFL holder.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    If you can ship a slide assembly by UPS/FE, and it not be considered a 'firearm', is it safe to assume the same thing applies to the frame? I'm considering sending off my P30 frame for a spring change, and sending just the frame would save a LOT on insurance, since my slide assembly is all NP3, and the general shipping would be pretty cheap. (assuming the smith will agree to receive it this way for the work?)
    Serialized frame is usually considered the actual firearm, where the slide is just a part. Firearms shipping rules will apply.

Okay, thanks.

In the past it was OK for an individual to ship a firearm directly to the factory or a gunsmith for work, and have it returned directly to them from said factory or gunsmith after repair. You would have to send it the expensive way if a handgun, (Air UPS or Fedex), the cheap US Mail (US Postal Service) option can be used for long guns, but unlicensed individuals cant send handguns by US Mail. Check current regs on the ATF website to confirm.

Some gunsmiths or FFls may not choose to allow firearms to be sent directly to them, but so far as I know its legal (or was) barring any state laws that may impact that.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Yep... If the frame has the serial number (as almost all of them do) then it's the firearm as must follow all the rules that apply.
    It's one of the neat things about Sigs 320/365 design... The FCU is the serial numbered piece and is considered the firearm freeing up the frames and slides to be shipped as simple parts.

User Tag List