Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Moving to Florida ?

Site Supporter
    I am from Savannah, GA - I always could handle the heat-humidity and frankly hate the cold. As I get older, the heat-humidity seems harder to handle. We are debating "Escape from Georgia" options and although north Alabama is currently the focus also considering Florida. My biggest concern reference Florida is the high insurance costs due to hurricanes and the associated annual evacuations. We had the hurricane threat in Savannah too - don't miss that in NW GA now.

This might help, Andy. Just determine which plants like growing in your preferred climate zone and match colors.

https://garden.org/nga/zipzone/

I live a stone throw from Ocala, about 20ish minutes from the ocean, in suburbia with no HOA. Winter hits 30s for a week or two. Summer is hot and humid. 85-90 on a pretty regular basis.I can give more detail in PM if needed.

The gulf coast isn't really the same "ocean" as the Atlantic side. If you're looking for an idealic beach it's not on the gulf side. But, the gulf side does have more riverways and the like. Plus manatees are fun to swim with. Plenty of kayaking, boating, fishing, etc.

What's your ballpark for a home? The price of housing can very widely with how close you are to the water, a major city, or the type of area in general. In general homes are selling higher than just a few years ago.

Edit: Unless you're deadset on FL I'd look elsewhere. So many northern Americans are flooding in it's becoming very densely populated. The states politics and how they're effected is another consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Try San Diego?
    That's great advice.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That's great advice.
    On a multi-day sightseeing trip to San Diego a couple years ago now, my wife were eating dinner in the Gaslight District and I had a serious conversation with her about selling everything and moving to California on the spot.

I even considered taxes, the cost of housing, uh "hobby" related restrictions and California Politics, and despite all that, was almost convinced, solely by the weather, which was, in fact, the best I've ever experienced (possibly except for Honolulu) in my life. Every day feels absolutely fantastic there.

Fortunately for us, I sobered up the next day, and we took our flight back home. My wife just rolled her eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Yeah I really can't see myself ever moving down there. The constant high humidity would drive me nuts. I guess it's nice enough in the winter, but the other three seasons seem problematic to me. My in-laws live down there, and there's a significant part of the summer where my father in law just gives up on attending SASS matches because it's too hot/humid. Rationally, I get that it's not really that different than having essentially no outdoor matches up here from mid October until sometime in March or April, but it just seems wrong to me.
    I gotcha. As a more or less full time resident since 1998, I'd say the seasons are kind of reversed. Basically you have HOLY SHIT IS IT THAT HOT?! meaning the month is either June, July, August. This is when your shoes stick to the tarmac. I've seen "external" temps on my car readout of 108F in the parking lot. As in, you really don't want to touch any exposed metal, hot. So yeah, summer sucks.

The other nine months of the year are just Huh, guess it's warm out.. I mean, they may be perceived as "hot" by some, but I'm year round in shorts and T shirt. That's it. There is a very brief period in December/January that you might (might) need a sweat jacket to walk the dog in the morning (for example it was 58F at 6AM this morning, walking the pooch. Still in shorts, though.)

Either way, you're in year round A/C. Heat might be needed for those couple brief periods, but that's it. A heat pump suffices fine, if you ever need it. Heck you even sometimes need the heat in the morning because it's below 72 in the house (ZOMG BELOW 72!!) but by 11 it's heated up you are switching back to A/C. Of course summer the A/C runs constantly.

Yeah, outdoor shooting or training classes sucks in summer. You drink gallons of water and just sweat like crazy. But nobody with a lick of sense is doing anything strenuous in the summer anyway, or at least more strenuous than floating in the pool, waiting for the burgers to be ready.

On a multi-day sightseeing trip to San Diego a couple years ago...almost convinced, solely by the weather, which was, in fact, the best I've ever experienced (possibly except for Honolulu) in my life. Every day feels absolutely fantastic there.
    Yeah, the desert by the ocean climate of San Diego is VERY nice. It's pretty much perfect outdoor activity weather year-round - warm enough that you're wearing shorts almost all of the time, but not too humid, so it's comfortable even when it's fairly hot, cools off nicely at night, etc. The politics and the cost of living make it a non-starter in my view, though. I will have to content myself with the knowledge that if I want to spend some time in that climate without committing to moving there, I have some relatives in the area I could go visit.

Yeah, outdoor shooting or training classes sucks in summer. You drink gallons of water and just sweat like crazy. But nobody with a lick of sense is doing anything strenuous in the summer anyway, or at least more strenuous than floating in the pool, waiting for the burgers to be ready.
    We get a few days like that up here every summer where it's like 95F+ and nearly 100% humidity which make me wish I could go a few hours further north, but usually it's at least in the "bearable" range, and I'm not terribly interested in colder winters than I already put up with. Maybe there's something to that whole "snowbird" thing. :P

On a multi-day sightseeing trip to San Diego a couple years ago now, my wife were eating dinner in the Gaslight District and I had a serious conversation with her about selling everything and moving to California on the spot.

I even considered taxes, the cost of housing, uh "hobby" related restrictions and California Politics, and despite all that, was almost convinced, solely by the weather, which was, in fact, the best I've ever experienced (possibly except for Honolulu) in my life. Every day feels absolutely fantastic there.

Fortunately for us, I sobered up the next day, and we took our flight back home. My wife just rolled her eyes.
    If I could make the trip in a time machine, I'd move to California tomorrow.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I am currently freezing my hands at the North East and thinking of moving to FL. I am not married and have no kids, so schools are irrelevant. I am looking at single family house or something like a two family if my folks ever want to move down or visit me.
    The only "must have" is a pool. A bonus would be relatively close (~20 minutes by car or walking distance) to the ocean. Unfortunately I don't know much about FL's areas. I prefer "populated" suburbia and would rather being smack in the center of a city.
    Another question: a lot of Redfin listings have HOA fee even for a single houses. Can one get a house without HOA? What does HOA do for you?
    How old are you?

What do you do for a living?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List