Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tree identification experts???

Any tree identification experts???

Any tree identification experts? I’m trying to learn the types of trees we have around our land. I’ve been doing research online but it can be a bit difficult to pin some down.

If I post pictures of trees, bark and wood can you tell me what it is? For example:

Name:  3260A8EB-C55C-472F-83D7-B74B7964B7E4.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  84.6 KBName:  3F143DD9-FFD2-4836-A9AF-8A06C9CAAC71.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  92.4 KB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I can identify things AS trees with great success. That's a tree, that's not a tree, that sort of thing.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Pictures of the standing tree along with photos of leaves and any seed pods or fruit always helps. I think there is even an app that you can use to take a picture and it identifies the plant, and maybe even trees, for you.

But, in answer to your original question, it looks like a piece of firewood with a smaller piece of firewood.
    Last edited by Shotgun; 01-16-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

It looks like a Red Oak. Maybe a White Oak.

Site Supporter
    Your location helps also.

I've had pretty good luck taking pictures of the tree and then letting Google id it.

I’m in Arkansas. I THINK it is red oak.

The Hoadley book above is a great book if all you have is a board, but if you have the whole tree it's a lot easier to use leaves (in summer) or for an oak the acorn. Bark can be pretty definitive but for some species it changes quite a bit as the tree ages. Twigs can be pretty definitive, but you need a magnifying glass and a key. But about any tree book that has pictures of leaves or acorns ought to narrow things down.

Your extension service might have a pamphlet like this:
    https://extension.tennessee.edu/publ...nts/PB1731.pdf

I’d say red oak, but we need location and pics of leaves if possible.
    #RESIST

User Tag List