Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Small pistols that allow thumbing the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No offense taken. I know I'm still 20-30 lbs overweight, facts are facts.

However I don't think it's keeping anything from bouncing based on two things:

1) I know rail then guys who carry an issued Glock 17M with no bounce issues. Plenty of inertially challenged folks on this forum carry heavy guns as well.

2) Ever seen a fat guy do the Baywatch run? Jiggly bits bounce themselves, they aren't load bearing and keeping anything else from bouncing...

Exhibit A:
    Hehe. I'm just spitballing here.
    If you're talking about issued 17Ms carried OWB on a duty belt it might be a different situation. I can run with an OWB holster and belt system with a 4 pound loaded gun without an issue.

I can cinch a heavy gun tight enough that it doesn't move AIWB, but it's decidedly less comfortable than a lighter gun and less tight of a belt.

I think there's the "right amount" of jiggliness that makes things stay put, lol.

My workaround for the issue is a hybrid holster system with a grippy leather backing so it doesn't slide on the body or undershirt as much.

It's kind of an extension of one of our previous discussions though... I feel a little badly for not carrying the gun I shoot best but that would be a heavy and large gun... and like you said, absolute performance past a certain point of objective competence isn't the most important thing. So I use a micro-gun and just make sure I can pass objective performance standards reserved usually for larger firearms.

So I guess my overall point is that I "could" carry a heavier gun, but I do notice a comfort difference in the way that I carry. Should I carry a larger and heavier gun? Sometimes I think I should.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    If you're talking about issued 17Ms carried OWB on a duty belt it might be a different situation. ...

So I guess my overall point is that I "could" carry a heavier gun, but I do notice a comfort difference in the way that I carry. Should I carry a larger and heavier gun? Sometimes I think I should.
    No, I mean plain clothes or off duty.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't. How comfortable you need to be vs whatever gains you may or may not have is your own calculus. I'm just saying that with the proper set up I don't think a few ounces matter and just showed a gun that's more then a few ounces different as an illustration. I find the grip to be the hardest part to conceal due to the thickness. I can carry a GP100MC with compact grip and it's easier to conceal.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Really need an SCD for the hellcat. It’s so similar internally and externally to a Glock that it should be feasible. Commercially, it could be viable too I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    G45, SCD equipped, with holoson and TLR-1HL. I don't know what it weighs but I just walked 3.5 miles with it and can do jumping jacks and it doesn't move.

Shivworks belt, Red1USA holster.
    But can you do a backflip on the dance floor without shit flying around? [emoji38]

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    But can you do a backflip on the dance floor without shit flying around? [emoji38]
    Well, since you can cut it at "can you do a backflip" and the answer is no...no.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taudevgroup View Post
    Due to the design of the Hellcat striker (specifically the rearward protruding portion of the striker lug) and intersecting design of the striker guide and striker locking plate, a simple Glock-style slide cover plate based SCD isn't feasible.
    Thanks for chiming in and letting us know.

The Springfield XDS is a partially cocked striker. Thumbing the back of the slide when holstering releases the grip safety so even if something caught the trigger it couldn't fire.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I am a broken record on this topic:

The Walther P99c is not for everybody, of course (paddle mag release is off-putting for some), but should be on your list to at least look at. It the size of a G26, striker fired, DA/SA, and holding down the decocker button is similar to thumbing the hammer on a hammer-fired DA/SA in that there is a lug on the upper side of the striker which interfaces with a piece of the decocker button such that when the decocker button is held down, the striker cannot travel far enough forward to strike the primer of a chambered round even if the trigger is pulled through its entire stroke.

(I have personally verified this with mine and a primed but otherwise empty case. Hold decocker button down, pull trigger, and you get a click from the striker being tensioned and then released, but nothing else happens. Release decocker button, pull trigger, primer pops.)
    I've got a full size and a P99c, and if there's any one big issue with them, it's that their frame/grip has zero traction. Nothing grip tape can't solve, but it's worth mentioning. Other issues include mags may be hard to find these says (I stocked up a while ago, but I doubt they're in surplus these days), and holsters don't exactly grow on trees for these things...

And, sadly Walther has (as far as I can tell) discontinued the P99c. On the upshot, Earl still has some...but he's proud of them, and wants a lot of money for them.

The other major "downer" with them is that they're not really RDO-compatible, given where the decocker is. Oh well.

But...for a DA/SA almost-pocket-sized double stack gun? I'm not sure they share that market with anyone. I really wish they were still on the market; they tick an awful lot of boxes without a lot of compromises to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    I've got a full size and a P99c, and if there's any one big issue with them, it's that their frame/grip has zero traction. Nothing grip tape can't solve, but it's worth mentioning.
    Funny, I use my full size for USPSA, and I've never felt that it was slippery. Either my hands are exceptionally sticky or I don't know what I'm missing.

Other issues include mags may be hard to find these says (I stocked up a while ago, but I doubt they're in surplus these days),
    Waltherarms.com has them. They're $42, which kind of sucks, and currently show out of stock, but in theory at least, they're available.

and holsters don't exactly grow on trees for these things...
    As it turns out, at least some PPQ holsters will fit them fine. I just recently bought a JMCK wing claw 2.5 for the PPQ, and it fits both my P99 and P99c quite well. (I don't even own a PPQ.)

And, sadly Walther has (as far as I can tell) discontinued the P99c. On the upshot, Earl still has some...but he's proud of them, and wants a lot of money for them.
    Yeah, Earl is proud of everything. I'm kind of amazed that he actually makes any sales of anything, given his pricing.

The other major "downer" with them is that they're not really RDO-compatible, given where the decocker is. Oh well.
    Yup. Want a red dot on a Walther, you need to buy a PPQ, and that's essentially SAO with no manual safety.

But...for a DA/SA almost-pocket-sized double stack gun? I'm not sure they share that market with anyone. I really wish they were still on the market; they tick an awful lot of boxes without a lot of compromises to get there.
    Have to agree with you on that - there are basically only 2 options for "DA/SA equivalent to a G26" - the P99c and the CZ Rami. Both have their fans, and both are kind of obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Funny, I use my full size for USPSA, and I've never felt that it was slippery. Either my hands are exceptionally sticky or I don't know what I'm missing.

Waltherarms.com has them. They're $42, which kind of sucks, and currently show out of stock, but in theory at least, they're available.

As it turns out, at least some PPQ holsters will fit them fine. I just recently bought a JMCK wing claw 2.5 for the PPQ, and it fits both my P99 and P99c quite well. (I don't even own a PPQ.)

Yeah, Earl is proud of everything. I'm kind of amazed that he actually makes any sales of anything, given his pricing.

Yup. Want a red dot on a Walther, you need to buy a PPQ, and that's essentially SAO with no manual safety.

Have to agree with you on that - there are basically only 2 options for "DA/SA equivalent to a G26" - the P99c and the CZ Rami. Both have their fans, and both are kind of obscure.
    You know, the US Market managed to drive Walther to make a button-mag-release version of the PPQ...it might be possible to urge them to make a run of P99Cs every 6-8 months for the US market, if the demand is there. I'm sure they haven't trashed the mold...it's probably an issue pistol for the detective bureaus of one or two German state police organizations.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List