Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Small pistols that allow thumbing the hammer

The Sig p938 would qualify. It's not recomended by Sig, but can be done. The safety is faster on and off than thumbing the hammer and is very positive when on. Mine is carried in a pocket holster with no problems.

Glock and gadgets.

The easiest for me after going back and forth on this topic a while ago is Glock 43 or my 48 with shield arms, 507K and a gadget. Had a p239, same size as a p228. Couple of s&w 3913s but optic limited.

It’s a striker fired world.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    ...or a revolver.
    Good, good... it has begun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I was asking about these (or the normal SA version) as a small gun to keep around the house for new shooters. I’m waiting until I have a chance to actually see and shoot one.
    On the XD-E, I can't get past the 25 ounce weight. That's 1.5 oz *heavier* than a Glock 34. And only 3 oz lighter than a P-01.

Maybe I need to get past the weight, but I'm with the idea of a micro pistol that weighs more than many compact pistols.

EDIT: Error above. I read the glock weight without mag. With the mag it's 25.9 which is 0.3 oz heavier than the XD-E with w/ 9-rd mag (25.6 oz), and 1.1 oz heavier than the XD-E with 8-rd mag (24.8 oz).
    Last edited by matto; 01-16-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    On the XD-E, I can't get past the 25 ounce weight. That's 1.5 oz *heavier* than a Glock 34. And only 3 oz lighter than a P-01.

Maybe I need to get past the weight, but I'm with the idea of a micro pistol that weighs more than many compact pistols.

Like everything in life, you're going to have to compromise. There isn't really a Glock 43/43x in the TDA or DAO world, that is still produced. The XDE should be considered in my opinion.

Maybe the Kel-Tec PF9, but my copy wouldn't fire hollow points, though it was reliable with FMJ. The worst part was how much it hurt to shoot. It felt like every seven rounds meant one less day in Purgatory. If, (everything ends up being *if* ) it were reliable, durable, and just 30% less painful to shoot, I would think of it as a great option. Mine never had durability issues, but I didn't shoot it enough to even come close to figuring that out.

When I can finally get to a range, I want to try out my new Taurus 856 with a bobbed hammer. Six shots, not terribly bigger than a j frame and the trigger feels good enough. Now I have no idea how well it will shoot, if it will work, and even if those two produce positive results, there is always the "it's a Taurus in the back of your mind".

A P250 .380 might be something you can find if you look hard enough.

A Sig P290rs might be another option, if you can find it. Not sure how reliable these were.

My dream setup?

A G43x version of the P-07. I could even take it in .380 if that was my only option!

SP-101 six rounds bobbed hammer in .38 special

A perfected PF9

Anything perfect

This was kind of mentioned quietly by someone in the thread, but I’ve also found it to be the case...

Putting a red dot on pistols helps mitigate a fair amount of the grip angle adjustment because the intersecting vision and presentation lines have more freedom depending on where the dot is on the window. Dots might be against your micro carry philosophy, but I’m just so much better with dots that I felt I had to do it.

A couple of other random thoughts that may or may not apply to you:
    A company sells extended base plates to use 10 round P365 magazines in an XL grip module (for capacity limited states).

I have one of the first 1000 P365s and have put 10,000+ rounds without a striker issue and with the number of abused rental P365s out there, I think we probably would have heard about ND failures if it happened. I also haven’t heard of a MS failure yet even though the mechanism does feel crazy fragile.

I also carry a low round count copy of my training gun to avoid wear failures (and so I don’t have to clean my guns as often). Dunno if any of those are options or if you’ve just completely ditched the idea of carrying it.

Just some thoughts.

That can’t be right. Can it?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That can’t be right. Can it?

According to each manufacture's website, the Glock 34 is slightly heavier.

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g34

https://www.springfield-armory.com/x...k-9mm-handgun/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I am a broken record on this topic:

The Walther P99c is not for everybody, of course (paddle mag release is off-putting for some), but should be on your list to at least look at. It the size of a G26, striker fired, DA/SA, and holding down the decocker button is similar to thumbing the hammer on a hammer-fired DA/SA in that there is a lug on the upper side of the striker which interfaces with a piece of the decocker button such that when the decocker button is held down, the striker cannot travel far enough forward to strike the primer of a chambered round even if the trigger is pulled through its entire stroke.

(I have personally verified this with mine and a primed but otherwise empty case. Hold decocker button down, pull trigger, and you get a click from the striker being tensioned and then released, but nothing else happens. Release decocker button, pull trigger, primer pops.)
    I have two P99Cs, they're my "small" guns, one for carry and the other for training/practice. I really like them. The bad news is that they've been discontinued, though they're still supported by Walther USA.

Site Supporter
    I wonder if Langdon could grind down the ambi mag release, and make it one sided only? When I had a XDS Mod 2, I had a mag dump on me. When I got home I had no mag in the gun. Called my buddy and he found it in the door panel area of the car we were in! Yes a proper holster might cover it, but I prefer just a one sided release. It's one of the main reasons I will not get an XD-E. That startled me.

Edit to add- I am speaking about the XD-E.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 01-16-2021 at 07:40 PM.

User Tag List