Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Small pistols that allow thumbing the hammer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    71"

Maybe I've just been lucky to choose better holsters and belts, but it's never been an issue for me. I mean, I carried a P220 and two spare mags or a P226 and one spare mag, handcuffs, badge, and radio on a Red Nichols "triple curve" belt for years. With a loaded Foster's coin sap in my front pocket. I just can't fathom 4-5 oz mattering in the slightest. If my belt and holster made it were balancing a few ounces was an issue, I'd swap the belt and holster.

Did you carry AIWB?

How similar are the external dimensions? The only two dimensions that seem to matter to me are thickness and grip length. Weight and barrel length are irrelevant to concealment for me.
    Yes, I agree, but with the addition of a proper holster and belt (probably that is implied in your response but so many people miss that part of the equation).
    A well designed holster/belt combo will conceal a 5" 2011 better than a poor holster/belt combo with a G42.

How similar are the external dimensions? The only two dimensions that seem to matter to me are thickness and grip length. Weight and barrel length are irrelevant to concealment for me.
    Yeah, they all vary in length and width as well, so it's hard to isolate which factor matters most. I can see barrel length not mattering (within reason). But weight bounces around more as you move, walk, etc.
    Last edited by matto; 01-16-2021 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Thanks guys... I made that myself but it's an exact copy of the AHolster Pocket Backbone. I stole the design because it's only for myself... I would not make one for anyone else.
    But definitely try one out from AHolster... It is hands down the best pocket holster I have ever used, from concealment to retention to release it is bloody brilliant. And quite a few others here have one as well and agree with me.
    Excellent, thank you! I just ordered a left handed one from AHolster
    https://aholster.com/product/pocket-backbone/

I’ve been experimenting with right hand AIWB semiauto and left hand J-frame backup and this looks perfect!

What position do you carry? AIWB for me, slide length matters a little. I usually compensate by going higher ride on a holster so the slide ends at the same location relative to my junk. I could see it not mattering as much if 4 o’clock.

Weight to me doesn’t affect concealment, but it does a little for comfort when active like doing things with my kiddo like playing in a bounce house, lol.

71"

Maybe I've just been lucky to choose better holsters and belts, but it's never been an issue for me. I mean, I carried a P220 and two spare mags or a P226 and one spare mag, handcuffs, badge, and radio on a Red Nichols "triple curve" belt for years. With a loaded Foster's coin sap in my front pocket. I just can't fathom 4-5 oz mattering in the slightest. If my belt and holster made it were balancing a few ounces was an issue, I'd swap the belt and holster.
    Gotcha. As a .civ, obviously I have none of that stuff. Maybe a phone and truck keys? But with a thick Mitch Rosen leather belt and a JM CK IWB, there was enough weight by adding a Glock 19 that I had to tighten the belt so much to ‘stay’ that it was pretty uncomfortable. I even asked Tony for advice, because my pants were always being pulled down, and he suggested either the suspenders or a fabric he mentioned I could attach to the back of the holster to increase the friction of the Kydex. Its quite possible my particular body shape may play have played a role. Anyway, that was a few years ago. As say, I’ll never go back to behind the hip, it’s just so much better to AIWB.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Thanks guys... I made that myself but it's an exact copy of the AHolster Pocket Backbone. I stole the design because it's only for myself... I would not make one for anyone else.
    But definitely try one out from AHolster... It is hands down the best pocket holster I have ever used, from concealment to retention to release it is bloody brilliant. And quite a few others here have one as well and agree with me.
    Seconded. Aholster are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Seconded. Aholster are excellent.
    I have a vedder pocket holster for my Ruger LCP and the holster comes out with the gun almost every time. It has the little hook thingy, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I guess I need to twist it just right to get it to grab.

Site Supporter
    @matto how many consecutive days/weeks have you carried the p01?

I ask because if carrying is only a weekend/ after work or occasional proposition then it’s going to take a lot longer to become accustomed to carrying any handgun. If a friend has a decent holster and belt I usually recommend they carry every day from when they put their pants on to when they take them off for at least two weeks so they can learn to deal with some minor discomfort.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @matto how many consecutive days/weeks have you carried the p01?
    Yes, so far it's just been partial days, swapping between them, etc. And with the shutdowns I'm spending most of the time with them around the house - sitting, standing and walking around the house.

I think you're probably right I should give it a try for a solid 2 weeks and see if it disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I have a vedder pocket holster for my Ruger LCP and the holster comes out with the gun almost every time. It has the little hook thingy, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I guess I need to twist it just right to get it to grab.
    If you haven’t tried them, the Desantis Nemesis is another option. One has worked well for me with an LCR, a P365 and a Glock 26. Gun comes out clean every time.

User Tag List