Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Small pistols that allow thumbing the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That can’t be right. Can it?
    Arg, sorry. I read the "without magazine" weight off glocks website.

But the XD-E is the same weight as a glock 17 with mag (24.8 oz). And the XD-E w/9 round mag is heavier (25.6 oz). Glocks are light!

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    The PPS is ~1/3 of an inch thinner than the P99c, similar to the difference between a Glock 26 and a Glock 43.
    I had and carried a PPS M2 for eight months. In fact I took my first "formal" training, a private session with Gabe in Clackamas OR in 2016 I think it was. Solid gun. 1,206 rounds, zero malfunctions. The "protrusion" out the back was a pretty cool feature.

Only had two problems with it: It was heavy for it's size, as in 6+1. I had both the 7 round and 8 round mags, and carried it behind the hip, but man, for a single stack, it was pretty heavy for the capacity.

Second issue was the non-swappable (and easy to hit) mag release. Being a lefty, I discovered, twice, that the mag release was light enough to actually engage while I was carrying. Meaning, the mag was not seated in all the way. Which would make for a very short gun fight. So that was not good.

I traded it in for the P30SK LEM, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I have two P99Cs, they're my "small" guns, one for carry and the other for training/practice. I really like them. The bad news is that they've been discontinued, though they're still supported by Walther USA.
    Yeah, I guess that's true. Still a good option if you can find one, at least IMO. Speaking of which, I really need to call Walther USA and order a couple of spare recoil springs for my full size P99, as well as some P99c magazine followers - I've cannibalized several of them to make my TF 140mm extensions for my full size P99 mags hold one extra round comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Second issue was the non-swappable (and easy to hit) mag release. Being a lefty, I discovered, twice, that the mag release was light enough to actually engage while I was carrying. Meaning, the mag was not seated in all the way. Which would make for a very short gun fight. So that was not good.
    PPS M1 (paddle release) would be ambi *and* nigh impossible to accidentally hit. I get that they did the button version for the fact that it's a more popular thing/would sell better, but paddle releases have significant advantages.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Maybe I need to get past the weight, but I'm with the idea of a micro pistol that weighs more than many compact pistols.
    How are you carrying that a few ounces matter in any way?

Maybe because I started out on "heavy" guns like the gov't 1911, I've never even considered weight as a metric yet it seems some obsess over it like road cyclists or UL backpackers. I get it for ankle carry, and I suppose pocket carry, but if you're carrying at the waist what difference does it make?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    PPS M1 (paddle release) would be ambi *and* nigh impossible to accidentally hit. I get that they did the button version for the fact that it's a more popular thing/would sell better, but paddle releases have significant advantages.
    On that we are agreed.

If I was king, all handguns would have Paddle releases, but I also think Betamax was better than VHS.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Maybe because I started out on "heavy" guns like the gov't 1911, I've never even considered weight as a metric yet it seems some obsess over it like road cyclists or UL backpackers. I get it for ankle carry, and I suppose pocket carry, but if you're carrying at the waist what difference does it make?
    How tall are you, BBL?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I'm right with you... I don't understand the ultra-lightweight crowd. I've seen people who will only carry an FRN scaled Spyderco because they say they can't stand a knife that weighs more than 2oz. Do these people only wear drawstring-waist silk pajamas?

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I'm right with you... I don't understand the ultra-lightweight crowd. I've seen people who will only carry an FRN scaled Spyderco because they say they can't stand a knife that weighs more than 2oz. Do these people only wear drawstring-waist silk pajamas?
    How tall are you, GF?

How tall are you, BBL?
    How tall are you, GF?
    So, who cares?

Well, there is a portion of the population that is undertall, or overweight (or both.) I'm 5'6", and at the time I was looking for a lightweight single stack, pushing well over 200#. And trying to carry IWB, behind the hip.

Which, being as how there's no natural "stiction" if you are placing a slick kydex holster between your pants and your underwear. Add a heavy leather 1/4" gun belt due to not knowing any better, and you are looking at a significant cantilever of handgun, holster and belt tugging at you all day. (I've read where some even wear suspenders, due to the weight of their gun and belt).

So, for some of us smaller than average, weight, while not the be all and end all of everything, is a factor that we have to give more...weight to when selecting a handgun (sorry, I'll see myself out) than those who are closer to or above the 50% centile of the human population. If you are a bigger guy, 6'or better, it may not make any difference to *you*, but I can assure you it makes a difference to *me*.

I lost a bit of middle recently, so lately I've been very successful at carrying AIWB, on a MMT belt. The belt is almost loose, and I don't have a gun tugging at my pants anymore. I'll never go back to behind the hip carry.

User Tag List