Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Small pistols that allow thumbing the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    How tall are you, GF?
    I'm only 5'7", 160lbs and I easily carry a Roland Special AIWB (43oz), 24rd w/+2 (18oz) and a 642 (19oz) in my right front pocket.
    Plus a lot of other stuff in my other pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I'm only 5'7", 160lbs and I easily carry a Roland Special AIWB (43oz), 24rd w/+2 (18oz) and a 642 (19oz) in my right front pocket.
    Sounds reasonable. AIWB is the way to go with that frame, for sure. I'm 5'6", currently 185, but was 212 last June.

Very cool setup and I really like that J-frame holster! Care to share who makes it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Very cool setup and I really like that J-frame holster! Care to share who makes it?

Beat me to the question.

Sounds reasonable. AIWB is the way to go with that frame, for sure. I'm 5'6", currently 185, but was 212 last June.
    I started AIWB carry at 190lbs with a stock G19 and was very surprised to find I could make it work... Before that it was only 15 years of ankle or pocket carry with a 642 or LCP.
    That motivated me to bust my ass to lose another 30lbs to make AIWB not only possible but also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Beat me to the question.
    Thanks guys... I made that myself but it's an exact copy of the AHolster Pocket Backbone. I stole the design because it's only for myself... I would not make one for anyone else.
    But definitely try one out from AHolster... It is hands down the best pocket holster I have ever used, from concealment to retention to release it is bloody brilliant. And quite a few others here have one as well and agree with me.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    How tall are you, BBL?
    71"

Which, being as how there's no natural "stiction" if you are placing a slick kydex holster between your pants and your underwear. Add a heavy leather 1/4" gun belt due to not knowing any better, and you are looking at a significant cantilever of handgun, holster and belt tugging at you all day. (I've read where some even wear suspenders, due to the weight of their gun and belt).
    Maybe I've just been lucky to choose better holsters and belts, but it's never been an issue for me. I mean, I carried a P220 and two spare mags or a P226 and one spare mag, handcuffs, badge, and radio on a Red Nichols "triple curve" belt for years. With a loaded Foster's coin sap in my front pocket. I just can't fathom 4-5 oz mattering in the slightest. If my belt and holster made it were balancing a few ounces was an issue, I'd swap the belt and holster.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    How are you carrying that a few ounces matter in any way?
    AIWB. If you asked me "would 5 oz matter" I'd be inclined to say no. But I currently have 3 guns that I am experimenting with carrying

1. Sig P365: 17.9 oz (Vedder lighttuck and Keepers cornerstone)
    2. Ruger SR9C: 23.4 oz (Vedder lighttuck)
    3. CZ P-01: 28.1 oz (Vedder lighttuck and JMCK wing claw 2.0)

For me, the amount that they "disappear" when carrying them aligns pretty much directly with how much they weight. On some days the P-01 doesn't bother me. But others I find it annoying. Is it the end of the world? Nope. But the P365 is damn near invisible. I forget it's there. The SR9C is somewhere right in between.

It's possible that if I get the P-01 more time I'll start to learn to forget it's there as well. Maybe that's the solution? It's by far my favorite of all my guns, many of which cost far more.

like road cyclists
    Hahahaha. Guilty as charged.

I started AIWB carry at 190lbs with a stock G19 and was very surprised to find I could make it work... Before that it was only 15 years of ankle or pocket carry with a 642 or LCP.
    That motivated me to bust my ass to lose another 30lbs to make AIWB not only possible but also comfortable.
    Congrats on the weight loss, that’s fantastic.

Totally agree on AIWB. I tried my Glock 34 the other day using a makeshift AIWB holster and was a bit startled it actually worked, more or less. I could probably be fine with my G19 but I find the most useful dimension of the G48 is its skinniness. The full grip is great, and I can get my hand on it for the draw. I like the 4.2” barrel and sight radius for shooting and the longer slide than the 43X for a softer perceived recoil.

Anyway, I’ve probably drifted the thread long enough.

So with that I’ll clam up and let the discussion get back to small thumbable hammer guns, it’s been pretty interesting.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    For me, the amount that they "disappear" when carrying them aligns pretty much directly with how much they weight.
    How similar are the external dimensions? The only two dimensions that seem to matter to me are thickness and grip length. Weight and barrel length are irrelevant to concealment for me.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List