Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Small pistols that allow thumbing the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I have a vedder pocket holster for my Ruger LCP and the holster comes out with the gun almost every time. It has the little hook thingy, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I guess I need to twist it just right to get it to grab.
    The secret to the Backbone is the spike at the top of the holster (at the rear sight), not the hook at the bottom. The hook at the bottom is merely a last ditch option which requires one to drag the holster rearward against the pocket in a slow and awkward way. Any pocket holster that is designed to be "waved off" is a no-go for me.
    The top spike however is the shit... It immediately grabs onto the pocket lining and holds itself in place as the gun is drawn upwards in a natural ergonomic draw motion.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Did you carry AIWB?
    As a detective, no. In some settings, yes. I've got pictures in one of the revolver threads of my GP100MC and a speed loader AIWB. I also have a G45 (my first optic equipped pistol) that I carry AIWB. Neither are, of course, light guns.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Yeah, they all vary in length and width as well, so it's hard to isolate which factor matters most. I can see barrel length not mattering (within reason). But weight bounces around more as you move, walk, etc.
    If it bounces that's an issue. A good belt and holster at the proper height shouldn't leave a gun bouncing. How "top heavy" is your set up?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Gotcha. As a .civ, obviously I have none of that stuff. Maybe a phone and truck keys? But with a thick Mitch Rosen leather belt and a JM CK IWB, there was enough weight by adding a Glock 19 that I had to tighten the belt so much to ‘stay’ that it was pretty uncomfortable. I even asked Tony for advice, because my pants were always being pulled down, and he suggested either the suspenders or a fabric he mentioned I could attach to the back of the holster to increase the friction of the Kydex. Its quite possible my particular body shape may play have played a role. Anyway, that was a few years ago. As say, I’ll never go back to behind the hip, it’s just so much better to AIWB.
    Thick isn't the only measure of good. A thin belt can be a good belt if it's shaped right.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    As a detective, no. In some settings, yes. I've got pictures in one of the revolver threads of my GP100MC and a speed loader AIWB. I also have a G45 (my first optic equipped pistol) that I carry AIWB. Neither are, of course, light guns.

If it bounces that's an issue. A good belt and holster at the proper height shouldn't leave a gun bouncing. How "top heavy" is your set up?

Thick isn't the only measure of good. A thin belt can be a good belt if it's shaped right.

Thanks! I still just don't feel comfortable AIWB (maybe I should be), but I get the appeal.

I don’t remember who on P-F tested a Glock and found that the striker had sufficient energy to ignite a primer when released from the resting position.

With that in mind, why is “partially tensioned” inherently better than “fully tensioned”?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Thanks! I still just don't feel comfortable AIWB (maybe I should be), but I get the appeal.
    Like most things, it's a trade off and not for everyone in every context. I'm still a fan of strong side behind the hip as well.

The XDE sounded promising until I saw one at the LGS. It’s a lot bigger given the world we live in...with p365,hello at, 43x. I’d rather go with a P225 or P239 than that XDE.

Watched the video by Warrior Poet Society. Almost in every carry position, you will be flagging yourself. It’s a contradiction, when carrying, to all the firearm rules that have been uttered to us relentlessly since we picked up a gun.

You have to get good in your mindset that a firearm, in a good solid holster, will not go off on its own. It is almost always the unholstering and reholstering when something goes wrong.

If you don’t believe me, load all your gun/holster combo and let them sit on a table.

It’s like golf...the hardest 6” is between your ears.(that’s what she said[emoji12])

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Name:  20210117_090948.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  21.3 KB

G45, SCD equipped, with holoson and TLR-1HL. I don't know what it weighs but I just walked 3.5 miles with it and can do jumping jacks and it doesn't move.

Shivworks belt, Red1USA holster.

For me, weight, within reason, is not a concern for carry. I find carrying a .45 ACP five-inch 1911 less hassle and more comfortable than carrying a Glock 26.3 in the same IWB holster design (Sparks VM-2 or Criterion) on the same belt. I also carry a spare magazine, two phones, a Seecamp LWS-32, pocket knife, keys, money clip, wallet, and a Foster coin purse. The thickness of a pistol across the slide and grip is a much bigger factor than weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    G45, SCD equipped, with holoson and TLR-1HL. I don't know what it weighs but I just walked 3.5 miles with it and can do jumping jacks and it doesn't move.

Shivworks belt, Red1USA holster.
    Respectfully and not meant in a derogatory way, but the handles of love may act as a retention feature in your case.

Name:  164B8513-D406-45D7-BB91-AEA4F28ED11D.jpeg
Views: 227
Size:  19.5 KB

If I take a similar picture with the belt cinched as tight as I can comfortably go, there’s nothing preventing it from moving upwards in a bounce.

Name:  CA55D779-4821-4775-9A25-D1502BD1A6CD.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  19.2 KB

So leaner people or more V-shaped people might notice it more (the OP is a road cyclist so I am going to guess this might apply to him too) in the upward direction.

And if you take into account what RJ said, the reverse also holds for the reverse shape (larger waist, no butt) with regards to downwards fall.

Just food for thought.
    Last edited by JCN; 01-17-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Respectfully and not meant in a derogatory way, but the handles of love may act as a retention feature in your case.
    No offense taken. I know I'm still 20-30 lbs overweight, facts are facts.

However I don't think it's keeping anything from bouncing based on two things:

1) I know rail then guys who carry an issued Glock 17M with no bounce issues. Plenty of inertially challenged folks on this forum carry heavy guns as well.

2) Ever seen a fat guy do the Baywatch run? Jiggly bits bounce themselves, they aren't load bearing and keeping anything else from bouncing...

Exhibit A:

User Tag List