Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to learn to love the glock grip angle?

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Do I get an a$$hole award for this?

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    Do you think Alec Baldwin is going to give it up that easily?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Do you think Alec Baldwin is going to give it up that easily?
    I would be happy to "duel" that low life for the title.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

If you're going to expand the candidate list beyond PF's cozy little corner of the Internet, well:

Name:  71buJcud2WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  22.7 KB

That's the best I can do.

Teasing aside, you add a lot of value to the forum.

Late to the party (as usual)-here are my thoughts:

1. GJM nailed it; the Glock grip/grip angle is a feature, not a bug. Familiarize, dry-fire, train, shoot with it and the appropriate muscle memories will be developed so that one's index with it becomes natural.

2. While #1 above applies, I think it's also worthwhile to consider that there are Glocks and then there are Glocks-by this I'm discussing the differences in Glock frame sizes, and how they can affect your index and use. For example, the Glocks I personally index best with, and have the best ease-of-use with are my standard full-size 9mm Glocks (in my case, a Gen 3 G17) and compact Glock (for me, a Gen 3 G19). The most difficult for me is my Gen 3 G21 (big-butt, not the SF abbreviated butt). Intrinsically, my G21 is the most accurate Glock that I have, but as I've discussed elsewhere on the forum, it's the Glock platform for me that requires the most intensive and continuous dry-fire, practice and actual use to do well with on demand. Conversely, I simply do not like or feel comfortable with the Slim-Line single stack Glocks, but I could probably adapt to them easily.

Additionally, the differences in recoil force impact in different caliber Glocks may have an effect on you as an individual shooter with your ability to naturally and effectively use a Glock (or other platforms). For my quicker pressure spiking/greater recoil force imparting cartridges that I have Glocks chambered in (in my specific case, .45 ACP [G21}, .40/.357 SIG {G22, both with the OEM .40 barrel and interchangable Glock .357 SIG barrel}, I'm currently experimenting with using a Warren Grip Assist sleeve on my G21 and G22, and am using the Glock Medium Beavertail on my Gen4 G22 (I've found that while I shoot the G22 more "naturally" without any aditional backstrap, the Medium Beavertail application provides me with better recoil control for follow-up shots). The Warren Grip Assist sleeve may simultaneously assist with both recoil management and support hand placement with the platforms discussed- it's validity and effectiveness is an assement in progress, but Scott Warren generally knows what he's talking about, so I think it's worth a shot, particularly with the cartridges and platforms that I'm concerned with (I do not see any need for it with any of my 9mm platforms).

https://warrentactical.com/product-c...assist-sleeve/

https://youtu.be/CcrjtA9HSi4

3. One platform transition difficulty that I've personally experienced that I think is worthy of consideration is if/when you transition from a Glock (particularly a double-stack magazine Glock) to a 1911 or similar (and "by similar" I'm specifically referring to a single-stack pistol with a grip safety that needs to be depressed before the weapon can fire). After an extensive period of double-stack pistol use, in one match where I decided to use a 1911, my grip muscle memory applied my "double-stack" index to the gun when I drew it and attempted to fire; I was not sufficiently grasping and disengaging the grip safety....(I quickly ascertained the problem, adjusted my grip, and proceeded onward succesfully, and the problem did not reoccur during the match, but still...that kind of stuff can getcha Kilt in the Streetz.....

Accordingly, I try to stick with one platform at a time in my use venues. It makes life simpler.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-18-2021 at 03:44 PM.

I was just playing with a G5 19 MOS with a SRO, and a M&P 2.0 Compact with a SRO, doing support hand presentations. I didn’t notice any difference between the two in finding the dot. I suspect there is a difference in the grip angle of the two pistols, but it did not show up doing what is generally considered hard with a dot gun. As the Kelley guys says, do what you need to do to align the sights or dot.

PS: I did notice differences in the two triggers, but again you just need to press them so the dot stays where you need it to.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Also...

If you don't like that the P365 doesn't have a trigger dongle and you don't like manual safeties...

There's this option (out of stock currently).

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/vuurwa...compact-frame/

It uses a G43/48 upper and trigger group, but has P365 grip angle and uses Sig magazines.
    They started taking pre-orders for serialized (not 80%) stripped and complete lowers yesterday.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    They started taking pre-orders for serialized (not 80%) stripped and complete lowers yesterday.
    https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/vuurwa...me-serialized/

Grip angle doesn’t matter. It’s so overblown by people that don’t know how to shoot or grip a gun.

Grip is all in the support hand. The support hand has to be canted forward regardless of what pistol you are shooting for maximum control. A Glock grip gets you closer to this but doesn’t matter what you are shooting you are going to end up with the same support hand position.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    I am either the "right or way-wrong" guy to reply. (Box to Match with over 50 "unknown" handguns with 80% wins)

I have no patience for the "I can't shoot X gun".

They all work the same...have the bullet exit hole somewhat inline with
    where ya want the bullet to go and make it go bang.

YES!!! We all get used to what we know and we will of course shoot better with that which we know.
    But it is just a handgun, dry fire your ass off and all will be well.

Do I get an asshole award for this?
    “A pistol is a pistol, mate. Just line the sights up and pull the trigger.” - an Australian SF member to young me on a joint forces deployment one night when we were talking guns. He had a really old P35 and an AUG, I had an M9 and an M16A2.

User Tag List