Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to learn to love the glock grip angle?

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    1. I carry AIWB and feel significantly more comfortable holstering when I can thumb the hammer when inserting. If my shirt or something is in the holster, the gun cannot go bang end my life. I'm 100% comfortable carrying my P-01 appendix. A Glock allows the same assurance with the installation of a striker control device. Some poo-poo these, but holstering might just be the most dangerous thing we do with our guns so I really appreciate this added level of safety. For those not familiar, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz7xYMChXjo

2. Sig P365 and P365XL have a single point of failure on the mechanical safeties on their guns. If the "foot" on the back of the striker breaks, the gun goes bang. This is true even if it has a manual safety. The glock internal safeties are designed in a much more resilient way. See this video for details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D03ms4E3VI

3. Fully tensioned striker vs partially tensioned. This combines with #2, in that if #2 fails you're done - the striker is fully tensioned and ready to shoot your junk off. With the glock, even if all the other safeties failed (damn near impossible) and the striker released, it still won't set off the primer because it's like 1/3 tensioned.

On a glock, it's damn near impossible for it to go off without actually pulling the trigger. And it isn't possible to pull the trigger while holstering, because my thumb will be on the back of the slide. It's also a very low chance that i'd have an accident with the Sig, but it's definitely higher than with the glock. And this all goes away if I am willing to get used to the grip angle on the glock.

Can of worms officially opened.
    Very thoughtfully and articulately stated. I have SCDs on all the Glocks I either drill with or carry because of the reholstering issue.

I even modified a Glock SCD to fit my MR920 because I could change the backstrap to point like a CZ, but otherwise be a Glock internally. Would have suggested that if you were carrying a 19.

I know some don’t like aftermarket parts but a G43x with an S15 magazine is kind of a perfect carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Of course, I'm a bit of a hypocrite here because I'm carrying a CZ P-07.
    Haha. You hypocrite. So what inspires you to carry the P-07? I also have one of those. I like it, but I like (love) the P-01 more. My hangup is that it's 28 oz (unloaded) which is wider and 8 oz heavier than the G48. And despite similar height/length dimensions, the G48 somehow has a 4.17" barrel vs 3.75 on the P-01/P-07. On paper the Glock wins in almost every way. My P-01 is my favorite pistol, but I can't figure out how to make it disappear when carrying it like my P365 does in a Keepers Cornerstone holster.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I think you'll find a lot of familiarity with the device and agreement on it's merits here. The purveyor of said device is a former owner of this forum and maintains a sub-forum here: https://pistol-forum.com/forumdispla...elopment-Group

And I agree. I won't put something without a hammer/SCD in the front of my pants. I do not trust myself to be zero defect and an additionally layer of safety is much appreciated.
    Right, I'm with you. And thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I even modified a Glock SCD to fit my MR920 because I could change the backstrap to point like a CZ, but otherwise be a Glock internally. Would have suggested that if you were carrying a 19.
    Ok I'm officially interested. What is this thing? [googling now] Is it a modified glock, or it's own gun?

I know some don’t like aftermarket parts but a G43x with an S15 magazine is kind of a perfect carry gun.
    I'm in a 10-round ban state, so a G43x is the best I can do anyway.

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/vuurwa...compact-frame/

It uses a G43/48 upper and trigger group, but has P365 grip angle and uses Sig magazines.
    Holy crap, that sounds ideal! But it's an 80% kind of thing. Not sure I want that as my carry gun. I'll have to read more. But thanks for the pointer!

The P-07 (with CGW parts) has become my favorite gun. I have 3 of them. It feels very similar to the Shadow2s I compete with--and practice with the most. (The P-01 and regular Shadow feel more similar to me.) The P-07 is one of the simplest TDA guns available, and spare parts are cheap. It's nearly as easy to detail strip as a Glock. As well, I prefer the polymer P-07s easily replaceable steel subframe inserts to the P-01's aluminum frame. I find it easy to conceal even under a smedium t-shirt with a JMCK AIWB WC 2.5. And I'm not a huge dude.

That said, I could be very happy with a P-01.

Haha. You hypocrite. So what inspires you to carry the P-07? I also have one of those. I like it, but I like (love) the P-01 more. My hangup is that it's 28 oz (unloaded) which is wider and 8 oz heavier than the G48. And despite similar height/length dimensions, the G48 somehow has a 4.17" barrel vs 3.75 on the P-01/P-07. On paper the Glock wins in almost every way. My P-01 is my favorite pistol, but I can't figure out how to make it disappear when carrying it like my P365 does in a Keepers Cornerstone holster.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The Glock grip angle is a feature not a bug, and the sooner you embrace that the better you will do with a Glock. If you do think it is a bug, better to go with something else.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ok I'm officially interested. What is this thing? [googling now] Is it a modified glock, or it's own gun?

I'm in a 10-round ban state, so a G43x is the best I can do anyway.

Holy crap, that sounds ideal! But it's an 80% kind of thing. Not sure I want that as my carry gun. I'll have to read more. But thanks for the pointer!
    MR920 is like a modified Glock, but is its own gun.
    I didn’t want to modify a carry gun initially so that was my way around that.

It pretty much uses Glock internals except for the extractor mechanism. Everything else swaps over.
    Even though they say it doesn’t work with SCDs, it does if you thin the lip of the rim a little.

Name:  D139957A-7BBD-4CCC-A233-27FE69D925F8.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  85.3 KB
    MR920, P01 and G43x.

I wonder if the 80% thing is to keep costs down and get around that Sig grips aren’t serialized but Glock frames are?

I like my P01 for shooting (also with CGW parts), but I get lazy for carry and carry a manual safety P365x.

Maybe I’ll put in the forged striker I have lying around.

2. Sig P365 and P365XL have a single point of failure on the mechanical safeties on their guns. If the "foot" on the back of the striker breaks, the gun goes bang. This is true even if it has a manual safety. The glock internal safeties are designed in a much more resilient way. See this video for details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D03ms4E3VI
    So here’s a question and I have to say that I am ignorant of how it works.
    The “foot” of the striker on a Hellcat has been a breakage and failure point.

Name:  5B154188-9E56-485F-B83B-40D3E2ED5A26.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  37.2 KB

I don’t know how the safety mechanisms work on that gun, but when people have broken strikers it’s just been that the next shot doesn’t go and they notice no strike.

So possibly by extension (and I’m just pulling this out of my ass so help me with the thinking it through):

If a P365 striker foot broke off, it’d probably break off early in the striker loading cycle and not actually load the striker spring, right? It’d probably break with slide cycling impact rather than let loose under static tension under full load I would think....

So even if it broke it’d probably just result in no strike rather than inappropriate strike don’t you think?

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Me too baby!
    Attachment 66209
    Some things can't be unseen.

If a P365 striker foot broke off, it’d probably break off early in the striker loading cycle and not actually load the striker spring, right? It’d probably break with slide cycling impact rather than let loose under static tension under full load I would think....

So even if it broke it’d probably just result in no strike rather than inappropriate strike don’t you think?
    Okay. So I did some googling and a metallurgist said this:

Metallurgist here. The likelihood of that part searing off in a catastrophic failure while under normal cocked tension would be incredibly slim, like dying in a plane crash slim. Proper tempering of the metal makes it hard, but still somewhat flexible. If that part was going to shear off in this manner, it would happen from the shock of firing the handgun, which would cause that part to shear off completely, and not allow it to recock during cycling. The striker is not in a position where it could gain the leverage required to begin cracking from one side, failure of this part would have to be all or nothing. If the striker is case hardened, which I'm pretty sure that it is, the inside is much softer than the outer shell, a process designed to prevent the metal from shearing in the event of a surface crack or imperfection. Lastly, the rear end of the striker contains a fair amount of the striker's weight. Reducing that weight, plus dragging against the striker block, would probably be more than enough to prevent enough force to ignite a primer.

I understand your concern, but you're talking about a seriously fringe case of crazy bad failure with many variables and safety nets needing to fail in order for your proposal to happen.

That made me feel better about failure of that part.

So here’s a question and I have to say that I am ignorant of how it works.
    The “foot” of the striker on a Hellcat has been a breakage and failure point.
    Yes! The hellcat breakages are an example that this can happen. Of course it could be that sig uses better manufacturing processes and theirs would never break (of course) but the concept of redundant safeguards is fundamentally accepted concept in the design and engineering of safety critical systems.

Fortunately the hellcat does not have the same single point of failure design that the sig does. Here's a video describing.

https://youtu.be/PuFVonprghc

User Tag List