Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to learn to love the glock grip angle?

When I was a new shooter I was convinced Glocks were unshootable because of the grip.

I ended up with a G3 G19 because a friend needed to sell it. Right around that time I got into USPSA and learned how to actually shoot. I ended up selling my CZ75 and buying another G19 so I could have separate carry and comp guns.

It's easy to fall into the trap of "OMG this gun didn't shoot perfect" when you're a new shooter. The reality is once you put in the time and practice you'll shoot anything better than you shoot that "natural pointer" as a novice.

With all that said, a G43 is not an easy gun to shoot. I don't have much time with a G48. Neither would be my first choice for an inexperienced shooter who wants to learn.

Also...

If you don't like that the P365 doesn't have a trigger dongle and you don't like manual safeties...

There's this option (out of stock currently).

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/vuurwa...compact-frame/

It uses a G43/48 upper and trigger group, but has P365 grip angle and uses Sig magazines.

I switched to glock about six months ago from carrying exclusively da/sa berettas and CZs. Last carry gun before my G19 was the px4cc. Even though I loved the pistol the lack of light/ holster/ dot options made me throw my hands up and say "fuck it im getting a glock". I was told numerous times how its not a good idea and so on and so forth. As it turns out It was absolutely not a big deal at all. Getting accustomed to the grip angle was no big deal at all. For how I hold the gun I prefer the glock angle, it allows me to really drive into the gun in a way I couldn't do with other pistols. I still own ltt 92 compact and use that for dryfire every now and again, Zero issues getting on The sights (irons). If I were just shooting irons than maby it might effect me more but with a dot its a non issue. In fact I plan on buying the rds slide for my 92 in the near future and will happily add that to my carry guns with zero worry. Dry-fire is god, rep it out and you will be golden.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Thanks everyone. I'm sufficiently inspired that I could get used to a glock if I decided to.

I'm still a little concerned about going back and forth though. I really like my CZ P-01 and SP-01 Shadow and LTT 92G. It would take a lot to replace them all with glocks.... but never say never?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    With regard to the G43/48 and G43x, I ultimately went with a P365x (P365 slide and XL frame) as the grip angle is a lot more similar to CZs and there's less of a delta when going very fast.
    Right. I actually own a P365 and love it. And because it fits me so well, I ordered a P365XL and it's waiting at the FFL for me to pick it up.

So I suppose I should mention the reason why I am trying to talk myself into switch to glock. This will probably make all the sig owners get defensive and/or poop themselves, but here goes. It relates to the mechanical safeties

1. I carry AIWB and feel significantly more comfortable holstering when I can thumb the hammer when inserting. If my shirt or something is in the holster, the gun cannot go bang end my life. I'm 100% comfortable carrying my P-01 appendix. A Glock allows the same assurance with the installation of a striker control device. Some poo-poo these, but holstering might just be the most dangerous thing we do with our guns so I really appreciate this added level of safety. For those not familiar, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz7xYMChXjo

2. Sig P365 and P365XL have a single point of failure on the mechanical safeties on their guns. If the "foot" on the back of the striker breaks, the gun goes bang. This is true even if it has a manual safety. The glock internal safeties are designed in a much more resilient way. See this video for details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D03ms4E3VI

3. Fully tensioned striker vs partially tensioned. This combines with #2, in that if #2 fails you're done - the striker is fully tensioned and ready to shoot your junk off. With the glock, even if all the other safeties failed (damn near impossible) and the striker released, it still won't set off the primer because it's like 1/3 tensioned.

On a glock, it's damn near impossible for it to go off without actually pulling the trigger. And it isn't possible to pull the trigger while holstering, because my thumb will be on the back of the slide. It's also a very low chance that i'd have an accident with the Sig, but it's definitely higher than with the glock. And this all goes away if I am willing to get used to the grip angle on the glock.

Can of worms officially opened.
    Last edited by matto; 01-15-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post

1. I carry AIWB and feel significantly more comfortable holstering when I can thumb the hammer when inserting. If my shirt or something is in the holster, the gun cannot go bang end my life. Glock allows the same assurance with the installation of a striker control device. Some poo-poo these, but holstering might just be the most dangerous thing we do with our guns so I really appreciate this added level of safety. For those not familiar, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz7xYMChXjo

2. Sig P365 and P365XL have a single point of failure on the mechanical safeties on their guns. If the "foot" on the back of the striker breaks, the gun goes bang. This is true even if it has a manual safety. The glock internal safeties are designed in a much more resilient way. See this video for details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D03ms4E3VI

3. Fully tensioned striker vs partially tensioned. This combines with #2, in that if #2 fails you're done.

On a glock, it's damn near impossible for it to go off without actually pulling the trigger. And it isn't possible to pull the trigger while holstering, because my thumb will be on the back of the slide. It's still an incredibly low chance that i'd have an accident with the Sig, but it's definitely higher than with the glock. And this all goes away if I am willing to get used to the grip angle on the glock.
    I don't think many here would disagree with this philosophy. I don't. It encapsulates almost exactly why there's a SCD-equipped G48 in a Dark Star Gear Hitchiker AIWB holster on me right now.

Me too baby!
    Name:  20210115_182230.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  27.4 KB
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    1. I carry AIWB and feel significantly more comfortable holstering when I can thumb the hammer when inserting. If my shirt or something is in the holster, the gun cannot go bang end my life. I'm 100% comfortable carrying my P-01 appendix. A Glock allows the same assurance with the installation of a striker control device. Some poo-poo these, but holstering might just be the most dangerous thing we do with our guns so I really appreciate this added level of safety. For those not familiar, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz7xYMChXjo
    I think you'll find a lot of familiarity with the device and agreement on it's merits here. The purveyor of said device is a former owner of this forum and maintains a sub-forum here: https://pistol-forum.com/forumdispla...elopment-Group

And I agree. I won't put something without a hammer/SCD in the front of my pants. I do not trust myself to be zero defect and an additionally layer of safety is much appreciated.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

@matto, all of my Glocks have SCDs. But also, many will agree that the default handgun is a Glock. (And the AR is the default long gun.) So, I would say that everyone should be able to shoot a Glock and an AR. Given that logic, I divested myself of my Sigs because they didn't offer me anything more than a Glock (totally personal choice), and I want to keep things simple. Of course, I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I'm carrying a CZ P-07.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-15-2021 at 07:48 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

You absolutely can if you wanna, I did. Later I decided there were other factors and moved away but not because I "couldn't" do it, i just decided i didn't have to.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My Glock journey

My first 3 Glocks were of the model 21 (45acp) variety. Didn't even think of trying a 9 or 40. I had to have the 45acp. The grip was a wee bit big for my tastes, but man, I had a 13 round magazine chocked full of 45. Well fast-forward a few years, dare I say decades, and a friend purchases a Glock 19 gen 5. I shot it at the range one day, and no, the light didn't come on.......no, it was a massive neon billboard. The size of the grip was so much manageable than that of the model 21. For me, it wasn't the grip angle so much, it was the fact my hand and Glock 19 gen 5 were very compatible. I bought a Glock 17 gen 5 and haven't doubted my decision one bit. The grip, size, angle, and texture.....trigger reach and 100% function all came together in this platform.

I sort of look at this journey as someone who wears a size 11 shoe, but crams his foot in a size 10 shoe. Not a good fit. But a size 11 works because my foot fits it. That's how I look at my Glock 17. It fits and it works for me.

As far as any firearm goes, practice and familiarity with the platform determines if one is compatible with it. No doubt many of us on the forum have bought a firearm, just had to have it, only to be disappointed when it didn't live up to the hype or our expectations.

User Tag List