Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Is it possible to learn to love the glock grip angle?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I have a really non-scientific theory I've held a long time regarding the Glock grip angle.
    It felt natural to me from the beginning, and Glocks have always pointed well to me. Other people I shoot with, not so much. If I ask people in person who say they hate the Glock grip angle to demonstrate a punch, their wrist is locked at an angle similar to the 1911. If you ask me to demonstrate a punch, I line up my front two knuckles in line with the bone structure in my arm from many years of Shotokan karate training. My punch looks like the Glock grip angle. I'm obviously in the vast minority, but it is an interesting observation.
    “This inch!”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I have a really non-scientific theory I've held a long time regarding the Glock grip angle.
    It felt natural to me from the beginning, and Glocks have always pointed well to me. Other people I shoot with, not so much. If I ask people in person who say they hate the Glock grip angle to demonstrate a punch, their wrist is locked at an angle similar to the 1911. If you ask me to demonstrate a punch, I line up my front two knuckles in line with the bone structure in my arm from many years of Shotokan karate training. My punch looks like the Glock grip angle. I'm obviously in the vast minority, but it is an interesting observation.
    I can confirm that the Glock grip angle is close to the wrist angle of an Isshinryu punch, also hitting with the index and middle finger knuckles. This is one reason why I like the Glock grip angle, do okay with a 1911 grip angle, and dislike the Sig grip angle.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Interesting about the Karate. My punches are with a straight wrist, just like doing fist pushups. But I still like the Glock grip angle better than Sig/1911/Beretta.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Interesting about the Karate. My punches are with a straight wrist, just like doing fist pushups. But I still like the Glock grip angle better than Sig/1911/Beretta.
    You are probably doing the same thing we are. The index and middle finger knuckles square with the target are part of how we define a straight wrist, of course with no inward or outward deviation.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    One's natural morphology (I think that's the appropriate term here) can make one angle better than an another.

In my case, time and arthritis have favored the Glock grip angle (and a more angled wrist for a straight punch) when previously a 1911 angle worked best.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    This is one of those things I’ve diddled with over the last few years. I never much cared for the Glock angle, but when I started running handguns fairly seriously about five years ago, I started paying more attention. From the avenue of pure, slow fire accuracy, all the major pistols, at least in my stable, shoot about the same. From my daily 92, to G17, M&P, VP9, P320, or PX4. However, what I have noticed is that it requires me to slightly adjust how I grip each pistol. I don’t grip a 92 how many instructors teach, that’s just not how the gun fits me. Glock is another story.

And I’ll probably shoot any credibility I could have when I say that I’ve really only ever run th first Glock I ever bought, a Gen 3 22, which has been converted to 9mm for several years. The smaller pistols like the 43x are just another bag of cats.

Site Supporter
    I think it's possible to be indifferent to it.

User Tag List