Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to learn to love the glock grip angle?

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    You are just intimidated by my HD belly hair.
    Keep pushing it and next the pants come off.
    You sir, win the Internet for today.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    All depends on who is doing the shaving baby.
    You misunderstand me. I'm a man with plenty of body hair as well. Just not that much left on top of my head these days.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You misunderstand me. I'm a man with plenty of body hair as well. Just not that much left on top of my head these days.
    Ooohh i got ya haha. you were gettin me all excited there for a minute.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Site Supporter
    If the Glock grip angle feels uncomfortable you... or negatively impacts your ability to shoot it well... choose something else.

There’s a lot of handguns out there. And if one fits you better, why force yourself into something that doesn’t suit you?

Wouldn’t a P10c give you a similar setup to a Glock, with more standard grip angle? Or an M&P? APX?
    Last edited by MattyD380; 01-15-2021 at 11:30 PM.

Glocks pointed high for me so I avoided them. Because I was buying into the myth that you should start with a gun that points naturally for you. Which is just not true.
    15 minutes a day practicing for a few days and it was dialed in and now 1911's feel off to me.
    First time I tried son's P365 it felt like it was pointing at my feet.
    I'm dialed in with Glocks now and that's what I stick with. I don't want to play around with switching back and forth.
    Oddly enough, my BUG is a 642 and while it is as different from a G19 as a gun could be it points for me exactly like a Glock... no sight adjustment needed. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I really want to buy a Glock 43/48 combo (which also gives me a G43x for free!), for various reasons. I could list those reasons, but I suspect it will derail the thread.

My problem is that I can't get past the grip angle. When I grip the gun naturally, it points up into the sky. Of course I can bring it down, but it takes thought, and feels fairly unnatural. I won't say "uncomfortable" as if it hurts my wrists, but it doesn't feel particularly comfortable or natural either.

Is this something I can get used to? If I buy one and shoot it a lot, will it become second nature? Will I be able to switch between it and my other guns without being frustrated? I don't plan to get rid of my CZs and Berettas.

The Glock checks a lot of boxes that I'm looking for in a carry gun. But jesus, why did they have to make the grip so stupid shaped?
    The Glock Gen3, Gen4, and Gen5 point well, in my hands. The Gen4 and Gen5 with no back-strap adapters in place, are a much better fit than the Gen3 and earlier. Pre-Gen3 Glocks tend to point low for me, and feel too strange for me to want to shoot them.

Notably, however, 1911 pistols, P226 and P229 SIGs, the first-generation SIG P220, the 1906 Luger, and Third-Generation S&W auto-pistols all point naturally, too, in my hands, while the current SIG P220 does NOT point well, so there is much more to fit than just the “grip angle.”

Plus, some pistols will fit one of my hands, but not the other.

Fit is complex, and Glocks have sold awefully well, to so very many highly-trained shooters, for Glock grips to be “stupid.”

I doubt that Jesus personally arranged your DNA. Glocks are not for everybody. There is no wrong, in that.

I have one Robar-ized Glock, a Gen3, which fits me very, very well, compared to the way a stock Gen3 would fit, so, obviously, customization is available.

If SIGs and Berettas work well for you, keep using them. I might own no Glocks, had I not switched from the SIG P229, due to the high bore axis, and the then-mandated .40 S&W duty ammo, becoming too much for my aging right thumb, hand, and wrist. As soon as my chief OK’ed 9mm, I switched to a G17, for the lower bore axis, and 9mm, in one move. Had the Beretta 92-/M9-series been on the list of approved duty pistols, I might have gone with Beretta, due to its reputation for being easy on joints in the hands and arms.

Actually, part of developing unconscious competence is concentrating upon one system, or a limited number of systems. I see little wisdom in trying to run three autopistol systems at a high level. Familiarity, for “battlefield pick-up” is reasonable, of course, but that is a different goal than going full-immersion.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Personal theory: They are also quite different in terms of feel and that makes it easier to subconsciously recognize.

Longer version: I think it's much easier to bounce between a given revolver and a given magazine fed pistol then it is between two revolvers or two pistols. It's the difference between a tennis racket and a baseball bat vs a tennis racket and a slightly heavier tennis racket. Your brain recognizes the big difference and applies "revolver rules" or "pistol rules" subconsciously whereas it's less intuitive when the feel is the same but the angle is just slightly different. Just a theory, though.

A tennis racquet metaphor!! Wut?!?!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  99.8 KB

To expound on it a ridiculous amount: All four of these racquets are essentially the same length, width, and strung with synthetic material. Weights and grip dimensions vary considerably: by grams and millimeters. You wanna talk minutiae? Tennis players talk about the differences of balance point, string diameter (16 or 17 gauge? You decide!), grip diameter and material, differences in synthetic material (synthetic gut or monofilament?), string tension, frame material, etc.

One of them is a $20 “racquet-shaped-object”, while the other three were all pro grade when new, and are still very playable. Put the yellow one with the pink grip in my hand, and I can actually play. The other three? I’ll still play, but I’ll suck (more).

One of my girls got a new racquet for Christmas. The same model she had played with for the last two years, but there is a difference between the 2018 and 2020 models, and she knows it when she’s swinging them. It’s not a big deal, but noticeable.

The differences between my favorite and any of these other racquets is less than the difference between a Glock 26 and 43, but I can play reasonably with one and not as much with the other - because I play with it all the time. If I switched today, in a few weeks, which I play better with would probably change.

I should go play tennis now.

OP: if you’ve never shot a couple hundred rounds through any Glock, only handled them in the store, you should go shoot one and see what’s what.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-16-2021 at 04:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    AeroPro. Nice.

I’m a Pure Drive man, myself. Though I’m kinda starting to appreciate Yonex.

Yes... I too see all kinds of parallels between finding “the one” when it comes to racquets and guns. And I tend to accumulate a lot of both.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    If the Glock grip angle feels uncomfortable you... or negatively impacts your ability to shoot it well... choose something else.

There’s a lot of handguns out there. And if one fits you better, why force yourself into something that doesn’t suit you?

Wouldn’t a P10c give you a similar setup to a Glock, with more standard grip angle? Or an M&P? APX?
    He mentioned carrying AIWB and wanting a positive control mechanism to prevent discharge during holstering.

That means APX is out, and so is the P10c until Tom blesses us with a Gadget for it (SoonTM​).
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    He mentioned carrying AIWB and wanting a positive control mechanism to prevent discharge during holstering.

That means APX is out, and so is the P10c until Tom blesses us with a Gadget for it (SoonTM​).
    I think you can get a safety for the APX. Not quite the same thing.., but would ultimately serve the same end.

User Tag List