Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to learn to love the glock grip angle?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I can adapt to different grip angles, but I have a preference for CZ to Glock angles. In my hands, more vertical grip angles don't just change the pitch angle, they change the effective height of the gun. Vertical grip angles force me to bend my elbows more (and my wrists less) to align the gun with my eye. I don't like that.
    Messing with a Shadow 2 a month or two ago, I was surprised how the CZ felt closer to a Glock grip angle than I remembered.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've switched my USPSA gun to a Tanfo Stock Master this year, and I find it points extremely close to a Glock, to the point I can go back and forth between the two with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I've switched my USPSA gun to a Tanfo Stock Master this year, and I find it points extremely close to a Glock, to the point I can go back and forth between the two with no issues.
    Production and CO or just Production?

What are your thoughts after switching?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I still believe the Glock is the ultimate overall pistol system. What do I know though? they’re all I’ve shot for 25 years.

A CZ Shadow 2 Compact and a Staccato C2 will eventually be in my stable… but I’m in no hurry for them. I’ll always carry Glocks though.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Production and CO or just Production?

What are your thoughts after switching?
    Production for now. I'm all in on production for the next couple years trying to earn a world shoot slot.

For IPSC rules, which prevent me from doing almost any of the mods I make for my USPSA production Glocks, including being unable to swap out recoil springs, I think the Tanfo is a slightly better gun to play the game with. Comparing the Tanfo to my USPSA production Glocks with a brass grip plug, tungsten guide rod, reduced recoil spring, I think there is no difference. The Tanfo may be slightly more forgiving on a tougher shots, but the Glock is much easier to reload quickly without hanging up the reload and is faster for me on close hoser stages.

My first handgun was an early gen 4 G17 that I bought on my birthday. My first duty gun was a G22. I shot Glocks almost exclusively (aside from when they didn't have a gun at that time that met a need i.e small slim 9mms) for the first 10 years of my handgun carrying life.

Fast forward to 2019 and I moved states to an agency that issues the M&P 2.0. I shot it fine, but I preferred the Glock simply because even though the m&p had less felt recoil, I could manage that recoil better with the Glock and time between shots was lower. Not an astronomical difference, but enough that I could tell even without a timer.

Then I injured my wrist in a fight during a felony warrant service. Since then, Glocks have been uncomfortable to downright painful to shoot.

So now, even though I'm out of LE and can carry whatever I want, I've switched entirely to the m&p due to aforementioned wrist pain with Glocks. I'll probably need surgery when whatever my wrist issue is deteriorates further. But for now, "I can't shoot the handgun I want" isn't a good enough reason for a doctor to sign off on treatment/surgery and for insurance to pay for it.

I will say that before the injury I had no problem switching back and forth with 5 minutes of dry-fire practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre3 View Post

So now, even though I'm out of LE and can carry whatever I want, I've switched entirely to the m&p due to aforementioned wrist pain with Glocks. I'll probably need surgery when whatever my wrist issue is deteriorates further. But for now, "I can't shoot the handgun I want" isn't a good enough reason for a doctor to sign off on treatment/surgery and for insurance to pay for it.
    Not quite the same thing, but I went round and round with my ophthalmologist for coupla-three years about my cataracts. He knew I had them. I told him repeatedly at each office visit, "I can't see! I can't see!" My wife suggested to tell him that it was impacting the quality of my life.

BOOM!

Two weeks later, I was getting cataract surgery.

He's not a Doc to push surgery and is very conservative about such matters, which I like. But those were the magic words.

PS For anyone reading this, if the time comes to get those cataracts taken care of, do so! Best thing I've ever done for my eyesight and the surgery is a comparative cakewalk.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I notice a difference between the frame sizes, too - the 19 is much worse for me than a 17/45 with a 26 falling somewhere in between.
    The hump on the back of the G19 is more pronounced and sits higher up on the backstrap than the G17 or 26.

Site Supporter
    Fast forward a few years. I have been competing with a 320 based pistol, and carrying a Macro. When I grab an unmodified Glock, it definitely points high for me now. However, if I hook my support index finger on the trigger guard, it points naturally for me.
    There is a pretty wide spectrum of grip angles. For me, the Glock is on one end, the high end. A Sig is in the opposite end, the low end. Many pistols are in between. When I have primarily been shooting a Glock, when I first grab a Sig and can't find the dot, the quickest way to find it is to look at my feet!

It may be just a work around, but I am amazed how hooking my support hand index finger on the trigger guard, like Grauffel, instantly levels the Glock for me.
    And this, folks, is why we are here. GJM is a fantastic shooter who doesn't specialize, and is open minded.

pat

I have a really non-scientific theory I've held a long time regarding the Glock grip angle.
    It felt natural to me from the beginning, and Glocks have always pointed well to me. Other people I shoot with, not so much. If I ask people in person who say they hate the Glock grip angle to demonstrate a punch, their wrist is locked at an angle similar to the 1911. If you ask me to demonstrate a punch, I line up my front two knuckles in line with the bone structure in my arm from many years of Shotokan karate training. My punch looks like the Glock grip angle. I'm obviously in the vast minority, but it is an interesting observation.

User Tag List