Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to learn to love the glock grip angle?

Site Supporter
    There is nothing natural about gripping a pistol and pointing at things with it.

There is nothing wrong with the Glock grip angle or a conventional grip angle.

One is not better or worse than the other there is just what you are trained and acclimated to.

Glock is one of those platforms that is easy to shoot at a low to medium level and slightly more challenging to shoot at a high-level. If you want to shoot Glocks well I.e. at high-level, you need to stick with shooting Glocks.

If you try to flit around between Glocks and other pistols with a different grip angle, one of those is going to be your default setting.

If you began shooting with something other than Glocks or you’ve been away from Glocks for a while and they “point high” that is a software issue not a hardware issue. A bit of dry practice presenting the pistol and the issue goes away. There’s trained and there’s untrained anything else is b******t.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Being mostly a Glock shooter for the last 35 years or so, I have learned to love the Glock grip angle.

For me, learning to love anything else is the problem.

There is a pretty wide spectrum of grip angles. For me, the Glock is on one end, the high end. A Sig is in the opposite end, the low end. Many pistols are in between. When I have primarily been shooting a Glock, when I first grab a Sig and can't find the dot, the quickest way to find it is to look at my feet!

It may be just a work around, but I am amazed how hooking my support hand index finger on the trigger guard, like Grauffel, instantly levels the Glock for me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Large frame Glocks (G20/21) are the only guns I've ever picked up and instantly had to put back down due to grip shape causing a bad carpal tunnel flare up. So for me, the large frame Glocks absolutely cause massive pain related to diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome.

Small frame Glocks (normal frame?) cause pain eventually while shooting. The G19 is usually within a box of ammo, the G17 after a couple of hundred rounds.

Contrast 1911s, HKs, M&Ps, revolvers do not cause pain unless I shoot a ton (>250 rounds) of ammo. Lone exception is if I shoot 100 rounds through an Airweight J-Frame, that I feel.
    I notice a difference between the frame sizes, too - the 19 is much worse for me than a 17/45 with a 26 falling somewhere in between.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It may be just a work around, but I am amazed how hooking my support hand index finger on the trigger guard, like Grauffel, instantly levels the Glock for me.
    I played around with finger hooking my 26 a few months back after reading something @Mas wrote. Rocking it like it was 1990 actually worked pretty decently for me, I should work more with it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I played around with finger hooking my 26 a few months back after reading something @Mas wrote. Rocking it like it was 1990 actually worked pretty decently for me, I should work more with it.
    Ironically, I was using that grip in the 1990s. Just about everyone went away from it. I remember doing quite well with it, but the instructors I trained with, at the time, said no go. One would even smack your finger if you saw you doing it. Different times, different times.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There is a pretty wide spectrum of grip angles. For me, the Glock is on one end, the high end. A Sig is in the opposite end, the low end. Many pistols are in between. When I have primarily been shooting a Glock, when I first grab a Sig and can't find the dot, the quickest way to find it is to look at my feet!

I picture the opposite end being a 1911 with a straight main spring housing or a Beretta Vertec. Sig still has a tiny bit of arch from what I can remember.

My first Glock was a 21, then two more 21s, for a total of 3 over the years. The first one was without the finger grooves, the second was the 21 that had issues with the ambi mag release. Finally dialed it in with the 21SF. My point is that my first 3 Glocks were the big boys. About 2 years ago, I bought a model 17, Gen 5. Wow, just wow. It wasn't the grip angle for me, it was the size of the grip on the 21s. The 17 grip was smaller in size and there was a night and day difference the way the pistol (17) felt in the hand. No 2X4 here. After all those 21s, a Glock 17 was my eureka moment.

Yeah, humans are adaptable so most of us can learn to adapt to anything. I did, having tried Glocks back in the early 2000's and disliking them, then eventually making them my every day carry for quite some time. But I've since started to drift away from them? Why? Well, techniques change and I've learned better ways to shoot. When I was deep into Glocks, it was back when the "tactical turtle" was a thing, where people drove the gun hard by rolling our shoulders forward and dropping our head down. That method of shooting still "works," but it's a bit outdated as we've learned that bringing the pistol up to your eyes is a better way of doing things for a variety of reasons.

The result? The Glock grip angle is now a bit too harsh for my aging wrists. Before with the "tactical turtle," I brought my head down to meet the sights, which meant my arms went straight out from my shoulders. The grip angle of a Glock is quite natural in that stance for me. Maybe a tad aggressive, but that helped with recoil control a little bit. Now, with the current method of bringing the gun up to meet your eyes, I find that I have to bend my wrists too much to align the sights and it gives my wrists fits especially when gripping properly to control recoil.

So I've kind of returned to my Beretta roots and I mostly shoot 92s and PX4s now, as their slightly more vertical grip angle relieves a lot of that excess bending and I find I can shoot for longer and have better grip because of it. Honorary mention to the S&W M&P that I've recently gotten in to as it's somewhere in between and is still quite enjoyable to shoot (for a striker lol).

All that being said, put a Glock in my hands and I can still shoot them fine, but my wrists'll be pissed after a comp/class/long day of shooting. So I can adapt much like anyone else can, but if I don't HAVE to, I'll choose something that fits me better. Sometimes tastes/needs change, and that's OK.
    Last edited by Basher; 04-01-2024 at 09:03 AM.

I can adapt to different grip angles, but I have a preference for CZ to Glock angles. In my hands, more vertical grip angles don't just change the pitch angle, they change the effective height of the gun. Vertical grip angles force me to bend my elbows more (and my wrists less) to align the gun with my eye. I don't like that.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List