Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to learn to love the glock grip angle?

Is it possible to learn to love the glock grip angle?

I really want to buy a Glock 43/48 combo (which also gives me a G43x for free!), for various reasons. I could list those reasons, but I suspect it will derail the thread.

My problem is that I can't get past the grip angle. When I grip the gun naturally, it points up into the sky. Of course I can bring it down, but it takes thought, and feels fairly unnatural. I won't say "uncomfortable" as if it hurts my wrists, but it doesn't feel particularly comfortable or natural either.

Is this something I can get used to? If I buy one and shoot it a lot, will it become second nature? Will I be able to switch between it and my other guns without being frustrated? I don't plan to get rid of my CZs and Berettas.

The Glock checks a lot of boxes that I'm looking for in a carry gun. But jesus, why did they have to make the grip so stupid shaped?

Nope. That's why nobody carries them.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Nope. That's why nobody carries them.
    Har har har.

Not everyone hates the angle when they pick them up for the first time. I'm trying to discuss those folks who disliked the grip at first, but got used to it - or maybe even learned to appreciate it more than other grips - after getting used to it.

Site Supporter
    Yes, you can get used to the grip angle and you don’t even have to burn ammo to do it. Simply practice presentation from the ready or draw until you can index the sight reliably.

Look at it as an easily solved challenge and not some big obstacle and you’ll be where you want to be in no time.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Har har har.

Not everyone hates the angle when they pick them up for the first time. I'm curious how many folks hated the grip at first, but learned to like it - or maybe even appreciate it after getting used to it.
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I'm no expert but I've carried a variety of firearms on and off the job over the past several decades. I think every platform has adjustments that will be required. For me, with Gen2 Glocks, I thought the grip was too thick and blocky. When I got my recent G26.5, which comes standard with a smaller grip, I had to put on a back strap to make it feel like my Gen 2.5 G26.

I never had an issue with grip angle or how it pointed. Perhaps it's just that I didn't find it difficult to adjust to the Glock, same as when I had to carry a Colt Series 70 or a third generation S&W.

I think it's just a matter of familiarity and patience. But I'm sure others will disagree and that is absolutely fine.

I only carry Glocks these days...unless it's a J frame in and around home.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It's really not that big a deal. Practice through dry fire and after enough presentations you'll point it naturally. Some say the angle is better for recoil control. I don't know.

If you can bounce back and forth is very dependent on your skill level and your willingness to practice. I tend to *not* bounce back and forth. I can do acceptably well by "re-educating myself" going between Sig and Glock, but I won't do *as well* as if I'd just stuck to one or the other. The fact there are multi-discipline masters show that if you're willing to put in the work it's quite possible to bounce back and forth. I just know I'll never be one and work within my own limitations.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Yes, you can get used to the grip angle and you don’t even have to burn ammo to do it. Simply practice presentation from the ready or draw until you can index the sight reliably.

Look at it as an easily solved challenge and not some big obstacle and you’ll be where you want to be in no time.
    This.

The whole ‘I can’t shoot Glocks’ because grip angle is just so much Internet derp. Get sight picture, press trigger without moving front sight.

Now if one said ‘I can’t shoot Glocks straight because of the staple gun trigger’, you’d have a case...

Is it possible to learn to love the glock grip angle?

You can absolutely get used to it through dry and live fire practice.

I fought getting a Glock for a while because of that, but once I got one and got used to it it just became the new normal. When I tried to switch to a HK P30s last year that grip angle felt weird to me and I had to work to relearn that.

Ultimately, I decided I didn’t have the time and energy to put into relearning so I went back to Glock. If you have time to consistently work with both platforms you might be done rubbing both, but I definitely prefer to keep everything the same. I have a one year old so your amount of time you have to devote to practice may be more than mine though.

As many upthread posts have said, yes, you can use a Glock without compromising your ability to shoot other guns. My support hand grip and thumb alignment on the side of the frame drives my freestyle index, and I have zero difficulty switching between CZs and Glocks. I can “crush out” misalignment of my strong hand when I miss my grip, or am shooting an unfamiliar gun. However, my SHO/WHO index does require a periodic tuneup. Fortunately CZs and Glocks index quite similarly for me.

I have come to strongly prefer an angled grip, like a Glock or CZ, over a vertical grip like a Sig, Beretta. or 1911/2011. Angled grips make it easier for me to keep my wrists locked without adding too much tension to my hands (especially strong hand wrist/hand).
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I really want to buy a Glock 43/48 combo (which also gives me a G43x for free!), for various reasons. I could list those reasons, but I suspect it will derail the thread.

My problem is that I can't get past the grip angle. When I grip the gun naturally, it points up into the sky. Of course I can bring it down, but it takes thought, and feels fairly unnatural. I won't say "uncomfortable" as if it hurts my wrists, but it doesn't feel particularly comfortable or natural either.

Is this something I can get used to? If I buy one and shoot it a lot, will it become second nature? Will I be able to switch between it and my other guns without being frustrated? I don't plan to get rid of my CZs and Berettas.

The Glock checks a lot of boxes that I'm looking for in a carry gun. But jesus, why did they have to make the grip so stupid shaped?
    This might not apply to you, so disregard if it doesn't.

I'm a CZ shooter too and while I can shoot Glocks pretty well, it does slow me down 0.1-0.2s or so in some drills because I have to micro-adjust the sight picture.
    It's not a big deal, but it does reduce my absolute performance going back and forth.

With regard to the G43/48 and G43x, I ultimately went with a P365x (P365 slide and XL frame) as the grip angle is a lot more similar to CZs and there's less of a delta when going very fast.

Slower fire or when I'm already tracking the dot, doesn't matter if it's a Glock or a CZ. But for pure speed on presentation, I default to what I know best (CZs).

Name:  8E125C80-3B55-49AE-9D6B-42DEEC429DCD.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  8E264002-DCD1-4633-A6F6-D20B55C735F7.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  7E31B78E-A04E-4A77-B451-38905BE56380.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  89.7 KB

User Tag List