Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optic selection for 15-22 pistol

Optic selection for 15-22 pistol

Picking up my 15-22 pistol from the FFL today. I’m struggling a bit with optic selection for this.
    Goals:
    - backyard varmint control
    - teaching my kids to shoot
    - primary .22 suppressor host; I also have a 16” threaded CZ 452 with a Leupold Rimfire 2-7

I don’t really find much value in a 15-22 as a low cost carbine trainer. I’ve owned and sold 2 of the full size guns already.

I’m leaning towards an inexpensive 1-4/2-7 type scope. I’ve also thought about a red dot, but am less convinced of its utility.

The main reasons for the 15-22 pistol over a more traditional 22 (say a 10/22) would be:
    - adjustable LOP for kids
    - shorter length; especially when adding a suppressor
    - lighter weight for kids.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I'm using a red dot on my 22 conversion for my 7yo. I picked this over an optic with magnification because I want to focus on some other things, rather than perfect head position, eye relief, etc. the red dot is also way more forgiving if the gun fit isn't perfect.

He's just starting, so the main things are safety and fun, and what's more fun than a red dot and making swingers, swing?

If it's for kids then weight matters. I'd avoid any of the 30mm LPVOs out there.

Red dot makes a lot of sense, but something like PA 2x Prism might be a good idea also.

I have a Weaver 1-3x on my 15-22 currently. It's fine, but I think it was more fun with a red dot. A friend has an HS507 on his 15-22 which is a slick and LIGHT setup. Works great for his kids.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm using a red dot on my 22 conversion for my 7yo. I picked this over an optic with magnification because I want to focus on some other things, rather than perfect head position, eye relief, etc. the red dot is also way more forgiving if the gun fit isn't perfect.

He's just starting, so the main things are safety and fun, and what's more fun than a red dot and making swingers, swing?
    That was my thought initially and why I had a dot on the full size 15-22 I sold. Then my son shot my buddy’s 10/22 with a 2-7 Leupold and told me he strongly preferred it. Hence the wondering. Also, magnification helps with varmint control.
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    That was my thought initially and why I had a dot on the full size 15-22 I sold. Then my son shot my buddy’s 10/22 with a 2-7 Leupold and told me he strongly preferred it. Hence the wondering. Also, magnification helps with varmint control.
    In that case I'd look at the Leupold VX Freedom 2-7.

I have an older Redfield 2-7 which I like for what it is.

What's your typical distance you plan to shoot, and what size targets?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    What's your typical distance you plan to shoot, and what size targets?
    25-50yds with kids. Targets are clays and 8” steel. For varmint use: field mice and chipmunks at 30-40yds
    Food Court Apprentice

I've been using a cheap Primary Arms red dot on my 15-22 for years, with no complaints. Keeps zero. These days I'd probably consider another PA, or perhaps one of the lower end SIG optics as I'm pretty impressed with the Romeo 4T on my MPX.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

For those requirements, I would go with a red dot. Zeroed at the apex of the dot, it can give a well defined point of aim.

Only negative I could imagine with a red dot, is contrast against clay birds.

Depending on LPVO, parallax error could be a negative at those short ranges.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I have a Holosun red dot (Aimpoint Micro style) on the rifle version that I like. I'll be moving that over to the pistol version once I get one and putting a LPVO on the rifle. I use mine for some low cost training, but it will get a lot more use in a coue years ( my son is only 3 now).

User Tag List