Thread: Sourdough bread first attempt

Sourdough bread first attempt

Just curious if anyone has tried baking your own sourdough. I bought a book, some starter online and followed the instructions judiciously. The dough was too wet and it wouldn't shape so just put it into the oven anyway. I used an old cast iron pot with a cover that seemed to work well. I think I have the process down now except I need to modify the amount of water I mix with the starter. Anyway the loaf turned out edible and I'm about to have some for brunch to see how it tastes.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The dough was too wet and it wouldn't shape
    As a kid, my family made something similar called "friendship bread" that's the same concept but a bit sweeter then sourdough. I'm no expert, but what I remember my grandmother doing:

Too wet = use flour. If it's just blobby and hard to shape, heavily flour your hands and you can work it a bit and the outside will set up enough for the bread to retains its shape. If it's wet to the point it's soupy, you may need to add flour, work it a bit, and then let the flour hydrate.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    As a kid, my family made something similar called "friendship bread" that's the same concept but a bit sweeter then sourdough. I'm no expert, but what I remember my grandmother doing:

Too wet = use flour. If it's just blobby and hard to shape, heavily flour your hands and you can work it a bit and the outside will set up enough for the bread to retains its shape. If it's wet to the point it's soupy, you may need to add flour, work it a bit, and then let the flour hydrate.
    Thanks. I didn't know what the right texture for the dough was but I know now. I'm not a baker, actually never baked anything in my life except a frozen pizza. It's a learning curve for sure but not nearly as hard as smoking salmon using charcoal, alder and a drum smoker. I'm one of those guys that will take it to extremes just to say I mastered it.

I couldn't find any bread in the store that was gluten free so I'm just going to make my own. It's a lot like loading your own ammo in a way. Might get one thru the hard times.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I work far too many stressful hours to see (or remotely understand) much of the incredible alchemy my wife performs in the kitchen, but her addition of home made, gluten free, probiotic enriched sourdough has been freaking wonderful. She's been at it for about 3yrs now, so she's to the point of making her own sourdough noodles for spaghetti night, healthy pancakes and even hot dog buns for Hebrew National chili-cheese dogs.

Life is good and sourdough makes it even better.

User Tag List