Thread: Mental Health, Youth and Firearms

Site Supporter

Mental Health, Youth and Firearms

From the NSSF (so not an antigun group):

https://projectchildsafe.org/parents-resources/

It is a useful resource about the issues, diagnosis, prevention, etc.

One of the Teachers Union Presidents in WA says that concern about suicide and mental health is white privilege.

On of my main concerns regarding the current craziness is related to suicide. One of my neighbors recently killed himself, he was a early 40s successful business man. I think the lockdown isolation is what got to him. I have not been able to find any firm data related to suicide statistics for 2020, but even the progressive Brookings Institute says that suicide is up by maybe 2-3 times what it was in 2019.

I have a small group of friends but I try to get together with some of them once a week in very small groups and outside.

Reach out to your friends.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 01-15-2021 at 12:35 PM. Reason: grammar is hard

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    One of the Teachers Union Presidents in WA says that concern about suicide and mental health is white privilege.

On of my main concerns regarding the current craziness is related to suicide. One of my neighbors recently killed himself, he was a early 40s successful business man. I think the lockdown isolation is got to him. I have not been able to find any firm data related to suicide statistics for 2020, but even the progressive Brookings Institute says that suicide is up by maybe 2-3 times what it was in 2019.

I have a small group of friends but I try to get together with some of them once a week in very small groups and outside.

Reach out to your friends.
    Sobering post, from several angles, my friend.

Also, that union guy isn’t playing with a full deck.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

2020 was a tough year for many. Isolation, uncertainty etc caused many to struggle.

Site Supporter
    When I did some work on PTSD in LEOs and reading the literature, it seems that traumatic events might lead to symptoms in 30% of those involved. 30% of of 2020 is going to be a whole lot of folks.

Some officers we talked to said that they if had such you were a p****, and then told us of the nightmare and symptoms that bothered them. One guy told me of almost shooting a kid who on a raid, ducked behind a bed and came up with a phone. Milliseconds from a shot - it still haunted him.

Reading about the number of psychiatric causalities in WWI and II is sobering.

One interesting (not in abstract and morbid way) was officers who became reluctant to handle their firearms. My coworker asked me for advice on what stimuli you might use for a cognitive behavioral approach to removing this. She didn't know anything about red guns, simulators, etc. They wrote it up in some manual. Don't know where it went from there, though.

User Tag List