Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trauma shears and chest seals.......carry them

Trauma shears and chest seals.......carry them

Name:  shearsseals.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  45.4 KB

"BEEP BEEP BEEP". The alert tone blasted across the radio as my partner and I enjoyed a peaceful water break at our favorite convenience store. Neither of us said a word as we headed out the door to our idling patrol units, both parked facing the street in anticipation of chaos erupting at any moment. The dispatcher raised both of us by call sign and started giving the details of a "shooting in progress" on another side of town well outside of our zones. My partner, a well seasoned veteran as well as a former US Marine....the type of disciplined shooter you want around when crap hits the fan.....fell in behind me as we drove towards the neighborhood where the victim was reportedly down.

The traffic and red lights were kind to us as we screamed that way, almost like it was divine intervention, as any street cop can attest that when you need to get somewhere in a hurry, both can hinder your progress. Most of the drivers heeded our emergency lights and we hit all the signals on "green" allowing us to get there faster than usual. Upon arrival, I pulled past the scene to the North and he checked up just South of it, both of us parking in the street at a diagonal, to block the scene just enough to ensure any evidence wouldn't be lost.....because old cops know that doing so will make it easier on everyone involved.

He got to the victim first as I approached asking "Where's he hit?". Our man was down on his left side, his back to me, and I could tell by the pooling of blood that he was in a bad way. His brother was there trying to help but he was in shock himself and obviously had no medical training. The look in the brother's eyes was one of desperation and agony as the victim lay at his knees, struggling to breathe, and actively dying. After 24 years of running these calls, I had seen "the look" many times before.....and when my partner replied to my question "In the back".......I knelt down and went to work.

A few years ago I sought out all the medical training that I could on duty and off. I learned about tourniquets, Hyfin seals, Combat Gauze, and other gear and didn't wait for my agency to train me. I signed up for classes on my own time and bought my own gear, opting for figuring out a way to carry the supplies on me instead of in my vehicle trauma kit. Thankfully, my agency went to a cargo style trouser some time ago and that made it easier to stow more gear. I added an ankle kit to my daily load and chest seals to cargo pockets. I added a Leatherman Raptor after noticing all the paramedics carried one clipped to their pockets.

It all paid off in seconds.

The Raptor made quick work of the victim's blood soaked shirt and exposed the gunshot wound to his back. My partner reassured the victim and held his head as he struggled to breathe and we both suspected one of his lungs was going down. I grabbed a Hyfin vented seal and slapped it on not knowing what affect it would have as I had never applied one before. I had watched videos and had a rudimentary understanding of how they worked.....but until you "do it"......you really don't know what to expect. Once the seal was in place, the victim took a deep breath and started to stabilize. Other officers started arriving for scene security, assisting K9 in running a track for the shooter, and paramedics started arriving. I told my partner I was going to my car to "clean up" and walked over to hose off my hands and arms. As I stood, the victim's brother looked at my face and then down at my hands and back up at my face. He never spoke a word....but his expression was one of deep gratitude......and I nodded as I turned towards my patrol unit.

I was pretty messy and warm, fresh blood is a tad hard to clean but eventually I made myself presentable and went back over to start checking for evidence and assist with the crime scene. The investigators told us that the guy was transported in critical condition and was in surgery....and it wasn't looking good. Later, I completed the necessary paperwork and was relieved by second shift. As I drove home, I received word that the victim made it out of surgery and was now "stable" and that the medics were raving about my chest seal. They said it made their job easier and were appreciative.

I said a small prayer thanking God that I had taken the time, spent the money, and carried the gear on me....that I took Tacmed stuff serious. As of this writing, the victim is still alive and recovering in the hospital. He's had a set back or two.....but so far, he lives.

I've seen a lot of people die over the years. I've held people as they slipped away.

Twenty three days ago I got to help a kid my son's age survive the worst day of his life. I got to watch a brother gain hope in the midst of despair.

It was all priceless.

Get trained. Get the gear. Carry it on you.

Regards.

Site Supporter
    God bless you. Stay safe.

Excellent post. You did a hell of a good thing. I’ve been thinking of getting an ankle med kit for work as well. In my current position, I’m not exactly a first responder anymore so the chances of needing to provide lifesaving care to a member of the public are pretty low unless I find myself in an active shooter event, but I still might have to treat a coworker or someone from another agency. Your post is pushing me towards getting off my butt and ordering a Ryker AFAK.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I want to add my support for this and add to the encouragement.

Years ago, before the use of TQs was recommended, I had a colleague suffer a gunshot wound to the thigh, cutting the femoral. Not much external bleeding, and pressure was ineffective. All I could do is say the typical "it will be OK, medics are on the way" BS while he bled to death. I also went to at least a few calls back in the day where having a TQ and knowing how to use it, or at least knowing how to pack a wound, might have made a difference. Jump ahead to a just few years ago and another colleague suffered multiple gunshot wounds in pretty heavy duty on-duty gunfight. I wasn't there but spent time with him in the hospital later and he insisted on showing me his wounds, including the one that hit his femoral artery. Top notch trauma surgery and a super fast transport saved his life, but so did the tourniquet applied by the first backup cop on scene. According to the doctors, without the TQ, he would likely have died before EMS got there.

I carry a TQ, gauze and shears most of the time, almost always have some nearby, and carry at least a TQ if I don't have the other stuff. I preach bleeding control ability all the time, and volunteer as an instructor to anyone or any group who wants instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I’m not exactly a first responder anymore so the chances of needing to provide lifesaving care to a member of the public are pretty low unless I find myself in an active shooter event, but I still might have to treat a coworker or someone from another agency. Your post is pushing me towards getting off my butt and ordering a Ryker AFAK.
    Auto accident, motorcycle accident, ATV accident, industrial accident, firearms accident, bad dog bite, kitchen accident, even some crushing injuries. Just saying...

In many cities, EMS has a response time of around 8-14 minutes on a good day. In rural or remote areas, it can be much longer, even assuming immediate access to a phone. A person can bleed out in less time. Besides, the life you save might be your own.

https://www.mammothtimes.com/content...-save-his-life

Okay, sorry, I am putting the soapbox away now.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Auto accident, motorcycle accident, ATV accident, industrial accident, firearms accident, bad dog bite, kitchen accident, even some crushing injuries. Just saying...

In many cities, EMS has a response time of around 8-14 minutes on a good day. In rural or remote areas, it can be much longer, even assuming immediate access to a phone. A person can bleed out in less time. Besides, the life you save might be your own.

https://www.mammothtimes.com/content...-save-his-life

Okay, sorry, I am putting the soapbox away now.
    Haha I don’t mine your preaching. Keep it up. More people need to have the training and equipment to provide basic aid in response to traumatic injuries.

To clarify, I have a trauma kit containing shears, tourniquets, seals, hemostatic gauze and other equipment in my vehicles: a stand alone kit in my personal car and a vest mounted kit on my armor which is within arms reach while I’m in my g-ride even if I’m not wearing it. I generally also have a tourniquet on my person but don’t have any kind of “kit” on my person unless I’m wearing the armor with the mounted kit. I would like to start carrying more on my person which is why I made the comment about the AFAK.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Nice job, you saved the victim's life and the medics recognized it.

I have some of the training, some of the gear (chest seals: ordered), but not consistent about having it on my person vs. in vehicle, etc.

I am not LE or first responder but I have cargo pockets and will henceforth carry the gear.

Thanks.

Outstanding job, @lwt16
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

@lwt16 best post of 2021 so far. Excellent work.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    @lwt16

Great work! That's why we do what we do!

User Tag List