Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trauma shears and chest seals.......carry them

Thanks for the motivation to take the next steps to be prepared. I have a go bag with with trauma gear that goes with me everywhere. I've actually used it more off-duty then on after stopping for several bad auto accidents.

The most frustrating was the one below I came across driving home one morning after work. They slammed into the retaining wall at about 70 and neither was wearing their belts. I couldn't do anything for their injuries with my gear, but I at least directed other bystanders what to tell 911 to get medics there while I assessed injuries. That wreck was the motivation to get better kit and to attend classes. It's been too long since I've attended one and your post is the motivation for me to do it.

Site Supporter
    Great thread. Is there a post on PF that lists a proposed "kit"?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have not searched but to my knowledge there is no thread listing a kit. There are several online places that sell components and kits including North American Rescue, Chinook and Tactical Medical Solutions. If getting a kit, you may end up adding or substituting stuff.

For most people, one of the better TQs, such as the Softt-W or Cat gen 7, along with a couple compact vented chest seals from Hyfin, a compression bandage and some z-fold gauze (gauze with hemostatic agent is often best, but expensive and some studies suggest regular gauze is almost as good) would do it, preferably along with some shears. Leatherman Raptor shears are great and fold up, but expensive. Good shears like those from Madison Supply or xshears are readily available and much cheaper.

There is more stuff one could add but there is the risk that as a kit gets bigger and bulkier, it will get left behind more often. Kind of like the big gun vs small gun discussions.

I Like the SOFTT-W TQs because of the metal windlass and the ability to fold them flat enough to fit in a pocket comfortably.

These kits might work or at least give you an idea of what you want:

https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/TacM...&pmk-options=2

https://www.narescue.com/law-enforce...it-for-le.html

https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/TacM...&amk-options=1

https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/TacM...ng-Control-Kit

Edited to correct the inevitable typos.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    For most people, one of the better TQs, such as the Softt-W or Cat gen 7, along with a couple compact vented chest seals from Hyfin, a compression bandage and some z-fold gauze (gauze with hemostatic agent is often best, but expensive and some studies suggest regular gauze is almost as good) would do it, preferably along with some shears. Leatherman Raptor shears are great and fold up, but expensive. Good shears like those from Madison Supply or xshears are readily available and much cheaper.
    + nitrile gloves.

I buy them by the box for general home & shop use. To make carrying them easy I bought a bunch of small ziplock bags (2x3 or 3x4”) and bagged pairs of gloves. I think there’s a pair or two in every jacket or vest I own, and a couple of pairs in my kit.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Our work kits were laid out by local trauma surgeons. NAR is where I get my personal gear. To date, I have...

Ankle kit
    Roo kit
    Mini IFAK

Plus extra CAT gen 7s and HyFins.

I can’t recommend North American Rescue high enough. Great service and fast shipping. I can post pics of each kit if you want.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Our work kits were laid out by local trauma surgeons. NAR is where I get my personal gear. To date, I have...

Ankle kit
    Roo kit
    Mini IFAK

Plus extra CAT gen 7s and HyFins.

I can’t recommend North American Rescue high enough. Great service and fast shipping. I can post pics of each kit if you want.
    Thanks - I will check them out

Good on you for saving a life. Let us all hope and pray that it was a life worth saving! I don't mean to pass judgement on who should be saved. Just that it would be satisficing knowing that someone given a second chance at life uses it well.

I purchased a Ryker AFAK tonight and plant to start wearing it to work.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List