Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting knives

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I found a pic of the Havalon and the little pliers that I use to change the blades in the field that I was referring to in the above post.

Neat. I use a little mini pair of vice grips which I also find useful for getting started skinning. The downside is they are pretty susceptible to corrosion. I've been meaning to try and find a stainless pair.

Site Supporter

I just wanted to point out one thing not yet mentioned in this thread that @Lost River is demonstrating for all of us in this post. Wear gloves when you’re processing game animals. While it’s rare there’s some pretty nasty diseases and bacterial infections you can get from processing wild animals, especially if you have fresh injuries on your hands you might not have even noticed.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 01-22-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Neat. I use a little mini pair of vice grips which I also find useful for getting started skinning. The downside is they are pretty susceptible to corrosion. I've been meaning to try and find a stainless pair.
    That particular set is really small. I chose them for two reasons. One being that they were light weight. Much lighter than a set of Leatherman pliers, and the second reason was that they will just barely fit in the original Havalon knife sheath. So I can carry the knife, pliers and blades all as one unit. Otherwise, they get separated, and when I need them I have no idea where they are.

I found a pic of the Havalon and the little pliers that I use to change the blades in the field that I was referring to in the above post.

Pliers are smart for field blade changes. I have a Gerber multitool in my pack for that purpose (or other random multitool needs).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    Pliers are smart for field blade changes. I have a Gerber multitool in my pack for that purpose (or other random multitool needs).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep,

When the knife is covered with slippery goo from working on an animal, and your hands are bloody, plus numb from the cold, it is a safety measure. I am normally a very long ways away from any sort of medical care where I could get stitched up properly, and when dealing what is essentially a scalpel, I go slow when changing the blades. I have nicked myself a couple times with a Havalon, and it takes a few seconds to even realize it. The pliers just make sense.

Site Supporter
    I have a Spyderco Moran that I adore. A lot of animals on that knife, as well as my Military. My last deer I had on a 24 degree January morning and I did it with a Halvalon. I was impressed and worked on the final butchering at home with it. I was even surprised at how well it worked popping the hips out as I quartered it. I had no issues with getting the hide off cleanly, nor did I perforate the gut or bladder. Or cut myself. I liked it so much after some testing I added a Halvalon with a gut hook blade to my belt worn trauma kit, replacing shears at work. I regularly carry a multitool in the woods and use that to change blades. Some of the weight weenies on Rokslide carry locking hemostats to change the blade.

As far away from a weight weenie as I can be I was just gifted for Christmas a TOPS Steel Eagle that is entirely too much knife for the hunting I do, although if I eventually pick up a backpacking tent stove it would be carried to cut wood. I am a little ashamed to say that I plan on carrying it on my next couple of hunts just cuz I got it, and the more I handle it and play with the more I appreciate it. Total LARPer blade though.

And for cutting wood for a backpack hunt I will be getting one of these to play with, because it intrigues me...

https://www.knifepointgear.com/product-page/worlds-lightest-backpacking-saw

pat

Site Supporter
    Goofed up the link and didn't realize it until after the edit window closed.

correct link

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I just wanted to point out one thing not yet mentioned in this thread that @Lost River is demonstrating for all of us in this post. Wear gloves when you’re processing game animals. While it’s rare there’s some pretty nasty diseases and bacterial infections you can get from processing wild animals, especially if you have fresh injuries on your hands you might not have even noticed.
    Besides touching intestinal cavity parasites with bare hands is gross.

And hiking out from a kill site with blood-covered hands is kind of gross, and unhealthy. Better to stay cleaner, when possible b

Site Supporter
    Anyone have experience with the Havalon Barracuta bone saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Besides touching intestinal cavity parasites with bare hands is gross.

And hiking out from a kill site with blood-covered hands is kind of gross, and unhealthy. Better to stay cleaner, when possible b
    Yeah, even if parasites weren't a thing I like being able to take gloves off and have clean hands. Tends to keep my clothes, jacket, rifle, pack, etc from being covered in bloody fingerprints.

My typical woods snack is a bag of almonds and an apple... Also not good with bloody hands.

User Tag List