Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting knives

Hunting knives

What’s everyone using for hunting knives?

I just got into hunting recently, and so far have just been using a spyderco PM2. It’s been okay, but I also edc that knife so getting it filled with blood, fat, hair, and dirt isn’t super awesome.

I’m leaning towards fixed blades and looking at the Spyderco Moran or more likely, the Benchmade steep country. Mora gets a lot of talk too and the price is attractive.

What about the replaceable blades like the Havalon Piranta?

Site Supporter
    Esee Izula for me, usable size and cheap enough I don't mind having to hit the spine with something to force it through an occasional bone without carrying a bone saw.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    Esee Izula for me, usable size and cheap enough I don't mind having to hit the spine with something to force it through an occasional bone without carrying a bone saw.
    The shape and geometry of the Izula blade are nearly perfect in my book. Look for knives like that, then pick whatever combination of materials, handle type, price point, etc., work for you.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Izula is OK. Personally I prefer Moras as they are easier to sharpen in the field, and cheap and light enough to carry 2.

The extra belly on the Izula is a little better for skinning, but the blade is also a lot thicker. Not a problem on big game but not ideal for small game

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Izula is OK. Personally I prefer Moras as they are easier to sharpen in the field, and cheap and light enough to carry 2.

The extra belly on the Izula is a little better for skinning, but the blade is also a lot thicker. Not a problem on big game but not ideal for small game
    Exactly: it depends on what you’re hunting. If you are hunting big game and process your own meat, a variety of task-specific knives makes the process easier and simpler. If you exclusively hunt birds, specialized knives again make the process easier.

Skinning knives work very well for their designed task. Well-designed and executed guthooks are valuable, but most I’ve seen are not both well-designed and made.

This year, I used an actual boning knife while ... boning ... damn. I’ve been wasting time and effort using other knives for that. LOL.

Basic, general use, up to field dressing big game: a Mora or a drop-point hunter of 3-4” length is fine. Really all that’s needed for most small game processing. Skinning, get a skinner. Caping, get a caper. Boning meat, use a real boning knife if you don’t want to struggle through the process and then try a boning knife and feel stupid about it later. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    I think that last part is what draws me to the fixed blades. I’d rather not carry extra shit if I can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I think that last part is what draws me to the fixed blades. I’d rather not carry extra shit if I can avoid it.
    Just (generally) try to use a full tang as opposed to a fixed blade with a stick tang to avoid potential mishaps. Mr. Murphy seems to show up at inopportune times.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

When hunting whitetail, I usually carry 2 knives and a set of shears(which has a saw type blade on the outside of one blade) or a telescoping wood/bone saw. I prefer to cut through the pelvis to remove the poop chute.

An extra knife is nice if you're breaking down a whole animal. You get to that point where it's just not cutting like it should, swap them out. Or keep one sharp for skinning and get gnarly with the other.

Scandi grinds are nice because you could be drunk and still sharpen it(don't recommend... You might cut yourself even if you don't F up the angle). Which means I'll do it while watching TV before a trip, or at the campfire with bad light, or mid day if things are slow.

For anyone who wants to get started I usually say get a Mora. If you don't end up using it no real loss, but I cringe when I see someone buy gucci gear and never use it.

Site Supporter
    I have a Mora but am considering adding the Benchmade Steep Country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    What about the replaceable blades like the Havalon Piranta?
    The Havalon's are an essential tool. They have a couple of drawbacks that are easily avoidable. Because they're so sharp and such a thin blade you can find yourself reaching for it for tasks that they aren't really meant for. The blade retention is pretty good but if you force it it can break or pop off, possibly in a way that can hurt your fingers. They also open easily, which is good but means they can open easily in your pocket, possibly stabbing yourself in the thigh or cutting your fingers when you reach for it. They make a little nylon pouch that holds the knife and ~20 or so blades, I find it best to keep that on a knife belt while working with it to avoid that.

As to the rest it kindof depends on what you're doing and where. Backcountry or backpacking a Havalon, Victorinox paring knife, lightweight hatchet and small hand plane are all you need IMO. A saw for some things, a Mora if you're doing lots of food prep/stew.

With boning knifes I think it's best to get something that can see double duty in the kitchen. The white handled Victorinox or Dexter Russels are ideal for this, semi-stiff, curved or straight to your preference.

User Tag List