Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Delta Airlines - no guns in checked baggage into "Washington DC area" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Legacy customs supervisors I bet. They are still fossilized in the old policies/procedures. Back in the day, Field Ops people needed to be on official business and have a letter from senior management stating that they had a “need to fly arm”. Going to a training course or TDY ? Then just check your piece in checked luggage. We really don’t care if it gets stolen, we will just entered it into NCIC, and issue you another gun for replacement. Things started to change about ten years ago, but until they retire out, good luck.
    Not in OI. I never flew unarmed during my career with USCS, whether on official business or not...but I guess it was different for Inspectors at air and seaports. Only exceptions were overseas travel.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Legacy customs supervisors I bet. They are still fossilized in the old policies/procedures. Back in the day, Field Ops people needed to be on official business and have a letter from senior management stating that they had a “need to fly arm”. Going to a training course or TDY ? Then just check your piece in checked luggage. We really don’t care if it gets stolen, we will just entered it into NCIC, and issue you another gun for replacement. Things started to change about ten years ago, but until they retire out, good luck.
    That went away after 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    That is really disappointing if true.

Delta has come through for me in the past. In December, my wife was bumped off a first class leg due to the flight being cancelled, and the gate agent booked her follow-on flight in coach, without so much as a courtesy call. She took the flight because she needed to get to NC to drop off the gifts.

I called Delta afterwards and discussed it with the agent. They refunded me the mileage difference I'd paid for her fare base, and put another 20K miles in my wife's account as a way of apologizing.

I hope this story gets more airtime with Delta senior management, because they really should be taking care of folks that are caught up in this situation.

User Tag List