Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl Sokol 3" M10

This is interesting and is probably something any decent machinist could install. It is the Bowen J frame rear (here on an SP101) although I don't see it listed on the Bowen website.

Edit to add this link to Cylinder & Slide:

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/csm296
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-23-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    True statement sir! Perhaps “reasonable price” would have been a better way to word it.
    That phrasing came from a couple of glasses of super Tuscan. Without their guidance, I would have said that if the sticker price is an issue, then save up until it's not.

Having misspent several thousand dollars on custom guns over the years, I've learned to avoid whistles and bells in favor of things that genuinely improve function, handling, and reliability. The guns I use most often don't look like anything special. But once you pick them up, you realize that you're holding something very different indeed. If done right, then you'll use the resulting piece for decades--if not the rest of your life--with satisfaction bordering on delight. The per-annum cost of that piece is so low that you'll laugh at how little it cost.

The key is knowing the difference between useful mods, whistle, and bells, and we have to learn that individually.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

The key is knowing the difference between useful mods, whistle, and bells, and we have to learn that individually.

Okie John

I've got a pistol at a smith now. He's got a pretty long waitlist, so the tendency for the customer is to check off every box on the option list, when his name is called. It's understandable. You wait 3 years for your chance, would you not go "all-in"?

The smith looked at my build request and described it as black coffee. No whip cream, soy milk, caramel drizzles, or sprinkles. Just straight, strong black coffee, and I don't think I could describe it better. Everything I asked for was for performance, reliability, long term durability, and ergonnomics. I think lots of us end up at this stage, just like you describe

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    You wait 3 years for your chance, would you not go "all-in"?
    I would not. I've seen a lot of custom guns that never get used because they're too valuable to risk damaging. http://www.hallowellco.com/magazine.htm is a monument to them. Rifles on that page have every bell and whistle imaginable: exotic cartridges, impractical glass, all manner of custom mechanical doo-dads, and finishes that would spook game for miles. The tiniest bit of wear would drop their values by half, to say nothing of what an honest-to-God hunting trip would do to them.

I'll pay a lot of money for things that make my life better but not much else.

I guess I'm a cheap bastard that way.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

That phrasing came from a couple of glasses of super Tuscan. Without their guidance, I would have said that if the sticker price is an issue, then save up until it's not.

Having misspent several thousand dollars on custom guns over the years, I've learned to avoid whistles and bells in favor of things that genuinely improve function, handling, and reliability. The guns I use most often don't look like anything special. But once you pick them up, you realize that you're holding something very different indeed. If done right, then you'll use the resulting piece for decades--if not the rest of your life--with satisfaction bordering on delight. The per-annum cost of that piece is so low that you'll laugh at how little it cost.

Okie John
    No worries, I appreciate the insight. You make a good point on the cost compared to length of use, one more reason for me to get this project started.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    No worries, I appreciate the insight. You make a good point on the cost compared to length of use, one more reason for me to get this project started.
    I totally get it. The best smiths have a grudging respect for the black-coffee customers, even though they're not as profitable is the all-in guys.

Okie John

I would not.

Okie John
    I know you know I wasn't asking you. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    This is interesting and is probably something any decent machinist could install. It is the Bowen J frame rear (here on an SP101) although I don't see it listed on the Bowen website.

Edit to add this link to Cylinder & Slide:

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/csm296

I dont see the part listed anywhere.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    It isn't on Hamilton Bowen's website that I can find. I may have to call tomorrow.

I likely won't use one on my M10 project (unless they are fairly inexpensive) but I have an SP101 that could use such a critter.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Conferred with Jeremy at Bowen this morning. This part is available but sold to custom gunsmiths only because it needs a fairly specialized cutter to install. Cylinder and Slide is one of their recommended shops for the install. C&S is ~ 18 months out on new projects.

User Tag List