Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Mora for strictly hunting chores.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Sheez , I thought everybody here had multiple Moras...
    Nah, us poor's are still catching up.

Really though, I've come to the point where I just want gutting/breaking down a buck to be as painless as possible.
    And I have a nice knife that does a pretty good job, but it is on the larger side, and can be a bit awkward for really fine work. And it was gifted to me, so it has some "meaning". I damn near lost it in the dark this year dressing out a buck, with all of the proper ensuing panic that comes with that moment. I am going to give the Mora a shot, because the PF orange scabbard and handle accents might prevent this from happening again. And even if I do lose it, the replacement cost is pretty bearable.

I know I could avoid all this drama if I could manage to get my animal down before the daylight is slipping away, but it just never, ever works out that way.
    I have never shot a deer with more than 15 minutes of legal light remaining. Such is my life.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post

I know I could avoid all this drama if I could manage to get my animal down before the daylight is slipping away, but it just never, ever works out that way.
    I have never shot a deer with more than 15 minutes of legal light remaining. Such is my life.
    Well, now you can sleep in and get a late start.

Getting back to the Mora for a second, I think you'll find a slightly coarser edge will give you better control for slicing and rough work. So unless you are trying to do very precise cutting, you may not find that you need to put too fine an edge on...you'll be able to judge and adjust without much trouble with the grits available on those hones.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Maybe you should try hunting in the morning.

I have a stainless Mora I got from County Comm a few years ago. It worked fine on the cow elk I used it on, but the blade seemed to quickly lose its razor edge when I was cutting hair/hide. It still had a workable edge, it just very quickly wasn't "factory sharp" anymore. I touched it up easily after I came home, and it feels razor sharp again, but I wasn't super impressed with my first real use of the Mora. But, to be fair, hair/hide seems to be hard on almost any knife edge. The plastic sheaths and handles make cleanup easy, and I didn't feel bad sheathing a dirty knife in the field.

I bought a Havalon after that, but haven't had the chance to use it on anything. Too picky on my shots afield, and/or just haven't been lucky enough to draw the tags I want. I carry both the Havalon and the Mora now.

We're waiting on somebody to post the Amazon deal link again.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

If you don’t want to deal with Amazon, I’ve had good luck with these folks:

https://ragweedforgestore.com/collections/mora-1

Site Supporter
    Nope, just one.

Would stainless be easier or harder to sharpen?
    Which do you think would be better for my uses?

I think I understand that there is a trade off with blades that are easier to sharpen vs holding their keen edge longer. I want it sharp, and I want it to stay sharp. It just seems to turn into a shit show when you're losing daylight, dressing an animal, and have to stop to touch up the edge. If I am wrong, please feel free to use this as a "teachable" moment.

Also, so I can really learn, what would be a nice pocket sharpener that I could keep with me for "touch up". Like if I screw up the the edge on bone while quartering.
    I've got a couple of Mora's. The OD version of the one @blues posted about and a longer 7" or 8" version which I don't have much use for but have because I like them. I've given one or two away to family members. They're so inexpensive but one of my favorites.

I've had both SS and carbon steel Moras and I didn't notice a difference in either re-sharpening them nor in the hair popping edge they would take from my Spyderco sharpening rods.

I would be pretty surprised if they needed any touch up in the middle of just one deer's dressing. I've field dressed two with my Mora and it went through them like a hot knife through butter. I did not use them to split the pelvis however. I skipped that step on one and used a tomahawk for that on the other.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've got a couple of Mora's. The OD version of the one @blues posted about and a longer 7" or 8" version which I don't have much use for but have because I like them. I've given one or two away to family members. They're so inexpensive but one of my favorites.

I've had both SS and carbon steel Moras and I didn't notice a difference in either re-sharpening them nor in the hair popping edge they would take from my Spyderco sharpening rods.

I would be pretty surprised if they needed any touch up in the middle of just one deer's dressing. I've field dressed two with my Mora and it went through them like a hot knife through butter. I did not use them to split the pelvis however. I skipped that step on one and used a tomahawk for that on the other.
    My mora did not need touch up after the last deer processing, I’m going to get a few more just to leave at deer camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Moras are an incredible bargain.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Nah, us poor's are still catching up.

Really though, I've come to the point where I just want gutting/breaking down a buck to be as painless as possible.
    And I have a nice knife that does a pretty good job, but it is on the larger side, and can be a bit awkward for really fine work. And it was gifted to me, so it has some "meaning". I damn near lost it in the dark this year dressing out a buck, with all of the proper ensuing panic that comes with that moment. I am going to give the Mora a shot, because the PF orange scabbard and handle accents might prevent this from happening again. And even if I do lose it, the replacement cost is pretty bearable.

Part of the good about Moras is that we poors can afford them.

My deer in December was the first time I made a shot in the mid afternoon: 3pm. I had all the time I wanted to use for cutting. Just had to get done and walking out before it got too late.

User Tag List