Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Mora for strictly hunting chores.

Best Mora for strictly hunting chores.

Okay, I am becoming intrigued by these seemingly high quality, yet affordable knives.
    I am having a hard time really telling the differences in the blades, as they are so subtle, at least to my untrained eye.

The main tasks for this blade will be gutting/skinning and quartering a deer, yet also camp knife chores, like prepping and slicing that oh so coveted heart.
    And a nice, grippy handle so my cold, wet hands don't encounter an "oh shit" moment.(Blood thinners and all)
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Not a hunter, but this is a great all around Mora knife with an ergonomic handle that will be good in the cold. It can also be had in stainless.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Clip.../dp/B00EAL17PC

stainless:

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Comp...g-goods&sr=1-6

Mora's have stick tangs, not full tangs, so be careful if beating or batoning.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I have the same Mora (or very very similar) in a green/black color scheme and it rides in my hunting pack for dressing duties.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Not a hunter, but this is a great all around Mora knife with an ergonomic handle that will be good in the cold. It can also be had in stainless.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Clip.../dp/B00EAL17PC

stainless:

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Comp...g-goods&sr=1-6
    Would stainless be easier or harder to sharpen?
    Which do you think would be better for my uses?

I think I understand that there is a trade off with blades that are easier to sharpen vs holding their keen edge longer. I want it sharp, and I want it to stay sharp. It just seems to turn into a shit show when you're losing daylight, dressing an animal, and have to stop to touch up the edge. If I am wrong, please feel free to use this as a "teachable" moment.

Also, so I can really learn, what would be a nice pocket sharpener that I could keep with me for "touch up". Like if I screw up the the edge on bone while quartering.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

B, you can't go wrong with either one. The carbon will be a little tougher and "may" hold an edge a bit longer. They will both be easy to sharpen since you can pretty much lay the wide flat bevel on your stone and sharpen. If it comes with a secondary microbevel, then just raise it slightly off the wide flat bevel and you'll be on the edge.

The stainless, which is a good steel originally designed for razors and such, will be less prone to oxidation if you don't clean, wipe down or put a touch of oil on your blade after usage.

Either way, you're good.

Maybe go with the stainless, you won't have to worry about the blood and other corrosives as much.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    B, you can't go wrong with either one. The carbon will be a little tougher and "may" hold an edge a bit longer. They will both be easy to sharpen since you can pretty much lay the wide flat bevel on your stone and sharpen. If it comes with a secondary microbevel, then just raise it slightly off the wide flat bevel and you'll be on the edge.

The stainless, which is a good steel originally designed for razors and such, will be less prone to oxidation if you don't clean, wipe down or put a touch of oil on your blade after usage.

Either way, you're good.
    This. You'll develop preferences for blade shape, tips, etc. over time. Given the blood thinner issue, I'd try to cut on the pull rather than the push. Beyond that, look for something with a guard.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thanks everyone, I'm going to grab the stainless one off of Amazon.
    I don't really know shit about blades, I really appreciate the help.

You won't need the strop...you can do that on your jeans, on a leather pouch, etc. Keep it simple. This video will explain basics you should know.

Sheez , I thought everybody here had multiple Moras...
    #RESIST

User Tag List