Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Mora for strictly hunting chores.

Off topic a little but we have close friends here who are Swedish nationals. They got very excited when I revealed I had the Moraknivs.

They say that they are almost literally every man's knife there and a staple on the belt of all tradesman. I'm half Swedish roughly so that was cool. For some reason.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Off topic a little but we have close friends here who are Swedish nationals. They got very excited when I revealed I had the Moraknivs.

They say that they are almost literally every man's knife there and a staple on the belt of all tradesman. I'm half Swedish roughly so that was cool. For some reason.
    I have several, almost all entirely purchased from the late Ragnar of Ragweed Forge fame. And a handful of Norwegian and Finnish knives, sharpeners and other stuff from him as well.

(He is missed.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've got a couple of Mora's. The OD version of the one @blues posted about and a longer 7" or 8" version which I don't have much use for but have because I like them. I've given one or two away to family members. They're so inexpensive but one of my favorites.

I've had both SS and carbon steel Moras and I didn't notice a difference in either re-sharpening them nor in the hair popping edge they would take from my Spyderco sharpening rods.

I would be pretty surprised if they needed any touch up in the middle of just one deer's dressing. I've field dressed two with my Mora and it went through them like a hot knife through butter. I did not use them to split the pelvis however. I skipped that step on one and used a tomahawk for that on the other.
    Do you split up the brisket/rib cage with the Mora?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Do you split up the brisket/rib cage with the Mora?
    I did that yes. Handily.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Are you guys using the plastic sheath?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    B, you can't go wrong with either one. The carbon will be a little tougher and "may" hold an edge a bit longer. They will both be easy to sharpen since you can pretty much lay the wide flat bevel on your stone and sharpen. If it comes with a secondary microbevel, then just raise it slightly off the wide flat bevel and you'll be on the edge.

The stainless, which is a good steel originally designed for razors and such, will be less prone to oxidation if you don't clean, wipe down or put a touch of oil on your blade after usage.

Either way, you're good.

Maybe go with the stainless, you won't have to worry about the blood and other corrosives as much.
    I find the zero saber (Scandi) grind annoying and stupid. I put a conventional secondary bevel that is MUCH faster to sharpen and a bit sturdier if it matters. However I can sharpen a knife. If there is much edge damage it takes quite some time to sharpen laying the flats....lota metal to remove. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I was butt - it's plastic molded clip isn't so good. The sheath body caught on something and leverage the knife off my belt and that basically "sprung" the clip part so it's worthless for retention now. I carry it in my pack hunting. I'm planning to get a simple leather sheath from a local knife shop that stocks a lot of leather. The kind without straps where most of the knife and handle are down deep in the sheath.

This little $4 sharpener is perfect for keeping a Mora sharp and it is as foolproof as it gets in terms of use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It might not be the same brand as the one in the pic here:

But I have both and they work equally as well. They don't weigh anything and it takes literally 1 minute to get your knife sharp enough to continue with dressing an elk or deer.

I used to carry some pretty fancy sharpeners, but I realized they did not do anything better, and weighed a lot more than the little pocket job in the picture. They have a fine and coarse side. 30 seconds on each side and you are back in action.

BTW the tradeoff between the high carbon moras and the stainless are that the high carbon ones are even faster to get an amazing edge on, but they rust very very easily. The stainless take a little bit longer to get a very sharp edge, but are far more rust resistant. I have both and use both, and find the stainless a bit easier to manage in terms of preventing rust.

When I get back to my cabin at night after using the knives I take them out of their sheaths and put them on a shelf close to the wood stove to completely dry out, otherwise the snow that gets inside the sheath will cause the Moras to rust.

I don't suggest running a carbon Mora through the dishwasher. Something that seems to fall of deaf ears here...

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    My thought process is that there is no need to carry a fixed blade knife on the belt. I keep them in my pack. I usually have my small daily folding knife clipped to a pocket for normal small chore so if I need to do some menial task I will use that. The fixed blade knives, saw, rope, bungee cords all stay in the pack.

User Tag List