Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a 5” 686 +

Why don’t you just have the store order you a 5” ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
    Why don’t you just have the store order you a 5” ?
    They say they can’t right now. *shrugs* online stores seem out of stock of everything too. I may just wait.

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    Thx. Are you able to shoot with or without the moon clips? Does it affect the ejection of spent cases or headspace?
    You can shoot without as well and it doesn't change anything.

Thx for the replies and info. I don’t really plan on carrying it. I just have always wanted a larger revolver for fun to just shoot you could say.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    No experience with recent Smiths, or 7-shot round guns at all. Having said that, the single finest, most accurate revolver I've ever owned or shot was a 5" 629 that I idiotically sold to fund a "Mountain Gun."
    Casting shade on the "Mountain Gun"? What's wrong with you dude?
    Seriously though, what didn't you like? I have the 57-5, and I dig it as my "outdoor big bore".
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Casting shade on the "Mountain Gun"? What's wrong with you dude?
    Seriously though, what didn't you like? I have the 57-5, and I dig it as my "outdoor big bore".
    My 5" was an absolute laser - most accurate pistol I've EVER owned or shot. The Mountain gun was "meh" at best in the accuracy department, the trigger was dog poop in a bag.

Nothing wrong with the MG for its intended purpose as a packable backwoods big-boomer, but definitely a disappointment compared to that old 629...

Big 686 fanboy here. I have a 4”, 6”, and a 8 3/8” now but have been wanting to add a 5”. Well I just got back from fondling one at my LGS.
    Wasn’t cheep at $899.00 but I looked it over good and it was right and tight . Barrel on straight, good forcing cone cut, good crown, good cylinder gap, timing spot on . Now I have to talk myself into it .

Banned
    Barrel on straight, ...
    It is really sad that we have to check for that on a S&W.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Big 686 fanboy here. I have a 4”, 6”, and a 8 3/8” now but have been wanting to add a 5”. Well I just got back from fondling one at my LGS.
    Wasn’t cheep at $899.00 but I looked it over good and it was right and tight . Barrel on straight, good forcing cone cut, good crown, good cylinder gap, timing spot on . Now I have to talk myself into it .
    Son, you have come to the right place.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

You just checked all the boxes, so it sounds like your GTG. 😆👍

User Tag List