Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a 5” 686 +

Site Supporter

5" SW 627 PC

I recently bought a 5" SW 627 PC: https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...627?sku=170210. I don't have enough rounds through it to pass final judgment but, I enjoy it very much so far. It does offer a couple features not found on the 686: 1) It's cut for moon clips and 2) It has 8 rounds in the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    No experience with recent Smiths, or 7-shot round guns at all. Having said that, the single finest, most accurate revolver I've ever owned or shot was a 5" 629 that I idiotically sold to fund a "Mountain Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Ouch.... that was a NICE gun you sold
    After years of playing with the various lengths, I have found that if I had to only have one, there is no question, it would be a 5" gun. It is the perfect compromise of shootability and packability.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    A 5” would be ideal - I’ve always felt the sweet spots for revolvers are 3” and 5”, not 4” and 6”.
    I have also come to this conclusion. I have 4" M10 and M13, as well as a 4" 686; I'd love to have 3" tubes on the K frames and a 5" on the 686. Not that they're bad as they are, I just think they would be improved by the inch adjustment. No experience with 7-shooters.

I struck out.

They didn't have it when I stopped by to grab it.

They had a 586 L-Comp for $1,100. I just wasn't too sure about the whole comp and the price. Was I dumb to pass this up?

Another store had 617, but it had been sitting there for a while and had rust in spots. Despite the rust, they wanted $800.

I also saw a 27 which was really cool, but I wasn't sure about an N-frame (I have relatively small hands, lol).

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    They had a 586 L-Comp for $1,100. I just wasn't too sure about the whole comp and the price. Was I dumb to pass this up?
    These days? If you can afford it and if it was new, yeah. You were. IMO. List is $1,250.

Another store had 617, but it had been sitting there for a while and had rust in spots. Despite the rust, they wanted $800.

I also saw a 27 which was really cool, but I wasn't sure about an N-frame (I have relatively small hands, lol).
    Way too much for a rusty 617. That's a common complaint about N-frames.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Okay. Think a local store got this in -

-66-8 357 2.75" bbl
    -586 L-Comp 357 3" bbl (Passed originally)

From you revolver experts out there, which would be your choice if you only had one other revolver, a j frame?

Any tips, guides, videos on what to look for to avoid getting a trouble gun that may have some issues from the factory, such as barrel installation issue that can be seen from the front sight not being aligned?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    These days? If you can afford it and if it was new, yeah. You were. IMO. List is $1,250.

Way too much for a rusty 617. That's a common complaint about N-frames.

-66-8 357 2.75" bbl

From you revolver experts out there, which would be your choice if you only had one other revolver, a j frame?

Any tips, guides, videos on what to look for to avoid getting a trouble gun that may have some issues from the factory, such as barrel installation issue that can be seen from the front sight not being aligned?
    The Revolver Checkout is a good place to start.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

-66-8 357 2.75" bbl

Those are pretty similar guns. Do you want blued or stainless?

I do like that the 586 has 7 rds and all ready cut for moon clips.

I do like how comfortable my 66 is to carry with a speedloader aiwb

586: 7 rounds, cut for moonclips.

66: six rounds, oodles of speedloaders and carry options. Lighter and thinner than a 586.

If I had both, I'd bet significantly that it'd be the 66 that got carried most of the time. But I've never even held a 586 L-Comp.

Thx. Are you able to shoot with or without the moon clips? Does it affect the ejection of spent cases or headspace?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Those are pretty similar guns. Do you want blued or stainless?

I do like that the 586 has 7 rds and all ready cut for moon clips.

I do like how comfortable my 66 is to carry with a speedloader aiwb

User Tag List