Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a 5” 686 +

Thoughts on a 5” 686 +

You all have me wanting to get a medium framed .357. I can’t find a GP100 anywhere, especially a WC. What do you all think of the new smiths and a 686 +?

My dad had one I loved as a kid, but I have always hated and worried about the Hillary hole, so I never picked one up.

Any issues with the 7 shot cylinders? Timing? Durability?

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    You all have me wanting to get a medium framed .357. I can’t find a GP100 anywhere, especially a WC. What do you all think of the new smiths and a 686 +?

My dad had one I loved as a kid, but I have always hated and worried about the Hillary hole, so I never picked one up.

I had a 3" which was a really nice gun. I sold it to a neighbor as he was looking for something for home defense, (and he and his wife are not gun folks, but not anti- at all), and I didn't feel comfortable carrying it with the lock. (It never had an issue, however.)

Mine was a nice example.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

No experience with recent Smiths, or 7-shot round guns at all. Having said that, the single finest, most accurate revolver I've ever owned or shot was a 5" 629 that I idiotically sold to fund a "Mountain Gun."

I briefly owned a 686+ but traded it at the first good opportunity. I shall not own another one unless it is a gift.

Mine became completely unreliable with a -1lb Wolff mainspring. Also, the 7th chamber meant different loaders. YMMV
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I've been thinking I want a 5-6" 686 with a scope for yotes out passed 100 yards.

I had a 6" recall (1980s) 686, but I liked the 4" better. I'm not sure how I'd feel about 5", but I like that companies have finally figured out that more than six can be safe in modern steel cylinders.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I have a 686-6 4”, and it works the way it’s supposed to. I was going to sell it to my son, but decided to keep it. I did buy a Galco Fletch holster to carry it, and it just works in my Miata. 🤣
    P.S. I hate the Hillary hole, but NEVER notice it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post

Not my favorite S&W's but they work fine and should outlast most owners. Just check it out when you go buy it. DA trigger pull should be smooth. Cylinder should swing out with no binding. etc. etc. A friend picked up a 686 some time ago only to discover when he got home the barrel was canted to the side. S&W fixed it, but he had to jump through hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    No experience with recent Smiths, or 7-shot round guns at all. Having said that, the single finest, most accurate revolver I've ever owned or shot was a 5" 629 that I idiotically sold to fund a "Mountain Gun."
    Ouch.... that was a NICE gun you sold

A 5” would be ideal - I’ve always felt the sweet spots for revolvers are 3” and 5”, not 4” and 6”.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List