Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Candiru vs Izula for belt wrap sheath carry?

Candiru vs Izula for belt wrap sheath carry?

I'm 5'8" and I've been carrying a candiru for a bit in a belt wrap sheath. It conceals amazingly. It almost feels like it isn't there. I get a three-finger grip on it. I've been looking at the izula but am hesitant if it doesn't conceal as well. Does it feel like it's a lot bigger?

BM Flyway (Armatus Architect sheath)
    Izula in DSG
    Candiru in DSG

Izula & Candiru second pic

Name:  EE4F5354-6B0E-45EA-AB77-34E219FBEFFD.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  27E69D58-7047-40D8-B0EF-C46D95913ADB.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  82.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    BM Flyway (Armatus Architect sheath)
    Izula in DSG
    Candiru in DSG

Izula & Candiru second pic

Name:  EE4F5354-6B0E-45EA-AB77-34E219FBEFFD.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  27E69D58-7047-40D8-B0EF-C46D95913ADB.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  82.7 KB
    Thank you!

Izula looks way bigger.

I have both in the DSG sheaths like vaspence pictured above. For me (5'11" but with a 30" waist), the Izula was too long and printed no matter how I tried to hide it. The Candiru was my poor mans solution for a midline fixed blade when I lived in a state that allowed carry of a fixed blade and I think it worked quite well in that role (with TKC scales btw).

Quote Originally Posted by Supercruise View Post
    For me (5'11" but with a 30" waist), the Izula was too long and printed no matter how I tried to hide it.
    Dude, have a sandwich.

Or two.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Just as a point of comparison:

Candiru: 5.13" overall length
    Shivworks Clinch Pick: 5.5" overall length
    Izula: 6.25" overall length

I wear a Clinch Pick every day, and I have worn an Izula from time to time. The Izula is a bit bigger, but I found it doable. I tried a couple times to make the Candiru work, but it just seemed too small for me.

@okie john if I'm 5'11" and 32" waist, do I also need a sandwich?

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I carry an Izula either vertical (modded factory sheath with a DCC) or horizontal (Dark Star) whenever I'm not carrying a second spare mag instead (depends on what I'm doing and what I'm wearing and carrying as to which option gets the nod). Horizontal it does take some work to hide, maybe a bit more than the CP I used to have, though the grip being flatter helps in some ways while being longer hurts in others.

I've found it helps to be flexible where you position it. If it's coexisting with a spare mag carried AIWB, I try to use the bulge that mag creates in the belt as a plane to hide the knife on, meaning it gets pushed to the left (it's set up primarily for a left hand draw) and becomes more of a left-hand-only option. Carrying a revolver and therefore not having a spare mag in that location, it moves closer to the gun to take advantage of that bulge in the beltline, which means its more accessible to my right hand for a reverse grip. On rare occasions where I have two spare mags and the knife, its basically all the way over at 9:00.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLock View Post
    I'm 5'8" and I've been carrying a candiru for a bit in a belt wrap sheath. It conceals amazingly. It almost feels like it isn't there. I get a three-finger grip on it. I've been looking at the izula but am hesitant if it doesn't conceal as well. Does it feel like it's a lot bigger?
    It's all relative. I thought the Izula was pretty small back in the day, and the Izula II was too big. But yeah, the Izula is noticeably bigger than the Candiru, though not absurdly so.

I have tried to like the Candirus, but whenever I actually have to use one, I wish I had one of my Izulas. I find myself constantly changing my grip seeking a sweet spot that I never manage to get, and the blade always seems to be just a hair too short. YMMV.

My minimalist day backpack is back to having an Izula more because there is no stainless Candiru than because I can't deal with the inherent limitations and quirks of the little thing.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    It's all relative. I thought the Izula was pretty small back in the day, and the Izula II was too big. But yeah, the Izula is noticeably bigger than the Candiru, though not absurdly so.

I have tried to like the Candirus, but whenever I actually have to use one, I wish I had one of my Izulas. I find myself constantly changing my grip seeking a sweet spot that I never manage to get, and the blade always seems to be just a hair too short. YMMV.

My minimalist day backpack is back to having an Izula more because there is no stainless Candiru than because I can't deal with the inherent limitations and quirks of the little thing.
    Tried to like Candiru? Check
    Wish I had and Izula at the time? Check
    "Adventure bag" currently rocks an Izula? Check
    (Likes the PX4CC? Check)

Dude, we can totally hang out.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Supercruise View Post
    I have both in the DSG sheaths like vaspence pictured above. For me (5'11" but with a 30" waist), the Izula was too long and printed no matter how I tried to hide it. The Candiru was my poor mans solution for a midline fixed blade when I lived in a state that allowed carry of a fixed blade and I think it worked quite well in that role (with TKC scales btw).
    Were the TKC scales a big improvement over factory candiru scales?

User Tag List