Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Benchmade Fanboy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    To the bugout owners,

Are there any daily scenarios where you wished you had a bigger or thicker knife to use? I’m considering a “slicier” knife as a companion to my griptilian. Among the options from other brands I’m thinking of the bugout with carbon scales or maybe the newest one with the s90v blade.
    After a lot of dancing around the idea of getting one I finally bought a Bugout.... for my wife. I’ve used it some around the house and mostly like it.

It does quite well with the type of things most people do with a folder, namely:

Hey, the latest from Amazon got in, let’s open it up. Let’s chop this cardboard box down so it doesn’t take up half of the trash bag. Let’s free the kids toy from the package it came in. Basically, light duty stuff.

That said, I tried to use it outdoors a bit for some more medium duty tasks and went back in the house for my Manix 2 after a few minutes. I found it too skinny, like trying to use a popsicle stick, for cutting where I wanted to bear down and dig in for any extended period of time. Actually came away glad I’d never bought one for my own use.

In another vein, my wife likes it, but really prefers her Delicas and Para 3 LW. She’s never been able to give a detailed explanation other than she just prefers the others.

Considering what the Bugout costs, I think it comes up fairly short in the value for dollar department. I also don’t do the type of hiking where every single ounce counts so I can’t really comment on how it performs in what was probably its intended target market.

I don’t think it’s a terrible knife, but for a general use Benchmade I think the Griptilian is a better overall package.

ETA: I had to sharpen my wife’s not long after it got home. I was a bit disappointed in the factory edge. 20 minutes on the Sharpmaker resolved that part.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    To the bugout owners,

Are there any daily scenarios where you wished you had a bigger or thicker knife to use? I’m considering a “slicier” knife as a companion to my griptilian. Among the options from other brands I’m thinking of the bugout with carbon scales or maybe the newest one with the s90v blade.
    I don't have a Bugout, but FWIW, the full size Griptillian is the folder I reach for as a serious chore/bushcrafty folder. The handle is more substantial than most folders, and that makes all the difference for hard use.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    LOK....I too, have just one Benchmade, also a full size Griptilian. I bought mine (instead of a Sypderco) at the insistence of a good friend at my local FFL, (a retired LEO). It has been in my front pocket every day for over 10 years. I sent it back only once, mainly out of curiosity, for the free sharpening/service. After acquiring a Spyderco Sharpmaker and becoming reasonably adept at it's use, there has been no need for a much loved and reliable knife. Yep, I drink the Kool Aid every time I just look at it.
    FWIW, since that post I did pick up an orange-scaled Mini Bugout as a smaller, less tactical/intimidating EDC knife for the office and such. Its very light and thin, cuts well. I wish it had the thumbhole like my Grip instead of the thumb stud. It's partially just the fact that's a smaller knife, but i don't find the opening to be as positive.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I’m officially ending a knife purchasing spree.(until I find a good deal on a 940,lol!)
    Name:  0EDB68DF-B0FD-4D36-9814-D45198B8A0C4.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  90.1 KB
    A pair that I scored on bladeforums. Basically brand new.

The Griptillian is the “upgrade” pick.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...-pocket-knife/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I still have both benchmades i used to kill a few Al quida. I am Running a Zero Tolerance/Emerson right now due to it being a present from a great lady Marine I know. It’s worked well but I will never be able to sell either benchmades due to hazmat issues 🤪

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I still have both benchmades i used to kill a few Al quida. I am Running a Zero Tolerance/Emerson right now due to it being a present from a great lady Marine I know. It’s worked well but I will never be able to sell either benchmades due to hazmat issues 🤪

Quoted merely to preserve the utter stupidity of the above poster...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Quoted merely to preserve the utter stupidity of the above poster...
    Thanks for taking care of this for me...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I’m looking at a Benchmade Steep Country as a hunting knife. Anyone have experience with one?
    Hidden Canyon or an atlas may be a better option... Smaller, lighter.
    Cheap hatchet from fiskars for skulls an such. Heh.

User Tag List