Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benchmade Fanboy Thread

Benchmade Fanboy Thread

In homage and deference to the long-running Spyderco Fanboy Thread, and in light of Benchmade’s recent 2021 new product announcement, I thought I’d start a Benchmade Fanboy Thread. I did a search and didn’t see anything already (there was a thread regarding some 2019 political drama and if you’d like to bitch about the company I’d prefer if you did it in that thread).

The 2021 new products are here. I’m particularly liking the look of the 4170BK AUTO FACT, although frankly I’m unlikely to ever buy one.

Personally I’ve been a fan for a good 25 years. I worked at a gun/army surplus/police supply shop in the late 90s-early 00s (right thought the y2k hysteria!) and that’s where I first became aware of Benchmade. Over my time as first a customer and then an employee I acquired quite a few, but most of them I’ve sold, lost, or given away over the years. I even had a Benchmade balisong in high school sometime in the early 90s but at the time I had no idea who or what they were, just that this particular “butterfly knife” was much higher quality than the one I got at the county fair, haha. I can’t even recall how I came by the Benchmade, I just recall the butterfly logo on the blade.

One of my personal favorites, that I sold back in 2011, was this 44s Balisong.
    Name:  EF18FAD7-0DFF-4F33-89CA-4FB849E2F153.jpeg
Views: 943
Size:  60.4 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I'm a Benchmade fan and my daily carry knife has been a Benchmade for going on 20 years.

I don't see too much other than the new 15006 Steep Country that current interest me, but could see picking one of these up this year for hunting use.

My modest contribution.

Name:  IMG_8112.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  100.5 KB

A Mini-Griptilian that fits my size M hands pretty well. This is the older version I've had for a while. I got tired of the original black coating scratching up, so I sanded it all off back to bare metal (for some reason, the picture makes it look much worse than it really is right now). Only real challenge I've had with it is during maintenance; getting the bushing back into the handle lined up with both bronze washers AND the blade is a bit fiddly. Solid little knife.

Funny, @rob_s I sold a 44 balisong (plain edge) a few years back as well. The guy wanted it bad and paid a very nice price for it.

I still have a handful of Benchmade knives...my favorite probably being the AFCK in M2. I carried it for quite a while before I even realized it was co-designed by Chris Caracci, who was my first SWAT School instructor when I went through the Ft. Lauderdale P.D. SWAT School back in the late 80's.

Here's an old image of some I've had, (and some I still have), over the years. A few are gone as gifts, including the last one in the image which I sent to @BehindBlueI's son for his birthday not too long ago.

Name:  Benchmade2.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  37.0 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I only have one Benchmade, a full-size griptillian. It’s been a great knife - I bought it at a huge discount from SKD when they had their big “we got him” sale when Bin Laden finally got popped. So it’s sort of...commemorative.

I’ve been eyeballing something a little smaller for office carry - maybe a mini-bugout.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Gussied up "Ritter":

Name:  minigrip3.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  22.2 KB

Name:  minigrip2.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  23.7 KB

Site Supporter
    I’ve never owned one. Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Funny, @rob_s I sold a 44 balisong (plain edge) a few years back as well. The guy wanted it bad and paid a very nice price for it.

I still have a handful of Benchmade knives...my favorite probably being the AFCK in M2. I carried it for quite a while before I even realized it was co-designed by Chris Caracci, who was my first SWAT School instructor when I went through the Ft. Lauderdale P.D. SWAT School back in the late 80's.

Here's an old image of some I've had, (and some I still have), over the years. A few are gone as gifts, including the last one in the image which I sent to @BehindBlueI's son for his birthday not too long ago.

Name:  Benchmade2.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  37.0 KB
    Either the 4th or 5th one down in your picture are high on my list of "wants" but moreso "wish they still made" list.

Anything Benchmade that includes the Spyderco thumbhole would be high on my list. If I could get a Spyderco thumbhole and a Benchmade Axis lock would be my dream knife.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Either the 4th or 5th one down in your picture are high on my list of "wants" but moreso "wish they still made" list.

Anything Benchmade that includes the Spyderco thumbhole would be high on my list. If I could get a Spyderco thumbhole and a Benchmade Axis lock would be my dream knife.
    Those are my AFCKs. The smaller being the "Jr." both in M2 HSS. Those are two of my keepers, especially since the AFCK was carried and used on the job before I left...so it has sentimental value like my older Glocks. I still carry the AFCK when I can't decide what else needs pocket time.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Those are my AFCKs. The smaller being the "Jr." both in M2 HSS. Those are two of my keepers, especially since the AFCK was carried and used on the job before I left...so it has sentimental value like my older Glocks. I still carry the AFCK when I can't decide what else needs pocket time.
    I'm pretty sure I owned one of both of those style at some time (not sure about blade steel) but can't seem to find them now.

I know the griptillian can (could?) be had with the axis and thumb hole, but I'd love more options.

In my mind there was another Benchmade, something more long and thin, that had the hole but the model escapes me (and/or I'm remembering it wrong).

ETA:
    There's the Ascent, which I realize doesn't have the Axis lock, but I thought there was a similar design with a G10 handle and a Spyderco hole...

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  49.3 KB

User Tag List