Thread: Sighting-in rifle from an angled position

Sighting-in rifle from an angled position

On our rifle range, the area we shoot from is elevated in relation to the down range point of impact. We have 100-600 yard berms with paper targets in holders in front of the berm.

My question: So if I sight-in a rifle at an angle in relation to my target, then as some point shoot from a level (horizontal) position, will my POI be different? Just curious. Thanks in advance for any input.

Time to break out the high school trig! :-) https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/fi...hooting-rifles

If the range to the target is the same in both cases, the difference will be that on the downslope gravity is not acting at right angles to the flight path, and bullet drop will be reduced. When people sight in on the level, they tend to hit high shooting downhill. If you sight in on a slope, POI will be lower shooting on the level. How much depends on the steepness of the slope.
    Last edited by peterb; 01-13-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    If the angle is say less than 10 degrees it really won't matter. Especially at 100 yards. It would have to be a ridiculously steep angle to have any effect at 100. It will have an effect out at distance, but you need to measure the true angle and linear distance. Most people tend to overestimate the angle (thinking its really steep). I have shot out of a 5 story drill tower out to 550 yards (and the tower was up a hill from the targets) and it still had zero effect because it was only a 4-5 degree angle to the targets. If your range distances are already marked in the linear distance from the firing line it won't matter.

You really have to verify your drop anyway, especially considering that most range markings are haphazard at best.

Site Supporter
    Here you go...

User Tag List