Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Federal Handgun Loads for 2021

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    I likewise usually hunt with subsonic or target loads. Usually just for the mild report. In a rifle though.
    As for this new 32gr solid I’m just not sold on the flat nose doing any extra damage vs a tumbling RN.
    If the extra power helps get adequate velocity for penetration then I would like to see a sxs comparison with a HV 40gr solid.
    Otherwise maybe the extra Hyper velocity power will help with reliability in blowback pistols?
    Im absolutely sold on flat points. Especially for small game. The only bullet that came close to the old SGB or my home made ones were remington subsonics. They used a very soft lead. Not good for coons but my flatpoints hit harder and anchored them very well.

Paco Kelly wrote about .22lr flat points back when I was a teen and spending the entire fall and winter squirrel hunting and experimenting.

Thats also been my experience with service calibers as well. Jhps work but damage a lot of meat. Swc anchor as well, if not better with very little damage.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Its really probably not. It just comes with most of the same limitations as .38 WC loads. IE: it doesn't make your .380 into a 9/.40/.45

Thats exactly my point, its become common in some circles to act like a 380 will make you feel better while a 38 wadcutter is the way.

I know I would rather have a G42 that i can shoot precisely and 7 of these than a 642 that I don't shoot nearly as well with 5 wadcutters.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Thats exactly my point, its become common in some circles to act like a 380 will make you feel better while a 38 wadcutter is the way.

I know I would rather have a G42 that i can shoot precisely and 7 of these than a 642 that I don't shoot nearly as well with 5 wadcutters.
    The difference in wounding potential may be minimal, but, the wadcutter appears to be less affected by heavy clothing.
    The 380 Hydra-Shok Deep struggled to expand in the denim test.

The heavier 38 Special wadcutter also appears to be less affected by auto windshields.

"It is all about the hardness of the lead and the launch velocity when confronting glass. Harder lead WC's at 744 fps went 14"; softer lead WC's at 651 fps only went 9"." - DocGKR
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....se-carry/page2

I haven't seen auto glass testing of the 380 Hydra-Shok Deep, however, Winchester RA380T penetrated 4.5 inches.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....0-Auto-vs-cars

User Tag List