Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Federal Handgun Loads for 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    It may finally get the .380 into the edge of viable performance. Will be interested to see what properly conducted gel testing will show.
    DocGKR didn't seem overly impressed, but, it is probably one of the least bad options in 380 Auto
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Shok-Deep-380

5pins has already tested the 380 Hydra-Shok Deep
    https://general-cartridge.com/2020/0...allistics-gel/

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    https://www.swiftbullets.com/pages/bullets has the Swift heavy pistol bullets for those that reload.
    Thanks for the link. It shows there are both 180-grain and 200-grain .40/10mm bullets. Very, very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Thanks for the link. It shows there are both 180-grain and 200-grain .40/10mm bullets. Very, very interesting.
    I ordered the 100gr .327.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Did you see the new Punch .22LR?
    Looks like it’s a 32gr flat nose solid at stinger velocity levels.
    I’m a little confused as to the necessity of this load vs any stiffly loaded 40gr.
    I can’t imagine the penetration would be much different.

Lots of people like hyper-velocity loads for hunting but dislike the damage a HP bullet does to small game. So I can see why the load has been marketed.

Personally I like to do my small-game hunting with standard velocity solids, especially squirrels. I do not like any of the hyper-velocity loads due to less accuracy, more report, and the shorter-than-standard (in many cases) case making a mess in the chamber. That being said, this ammo is being marketed as a SD load for people with pistols like the mini-revolvers like the NAA and pistols like Glock 44 and Ruger LCP II.

I likewise usually hunt with subsonic or target loads. Usually just for the mild report. In a rifle though.
    As for this new 32gr solid I’m just not sold on the flat nose doing any extra damage vs a tumbling RN.
    If the extra power helps get adequate velocity for penetration then I would like to see a sxs comparison with a HV 40gr solid.
    Otherwise maybe the extra Hyper velocity power will help with reliability in blowback pistols?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Lots of people like hyper-velocity loads for hunting but dislike the damage a HP bullet does to small game. So I can see why the load has been marketed.
    My grandfather used to give me a significant amount of grief for anything but a headshot on squirrels due to ruining too much meat with hollow points.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    Did you see the new Punch .22LR?
    Looks like it’s a 32gr flat nose solid at stinger velocity levels.
    I’m a little confused as to the necessity of this load vs any stiffly loaded 40gr.
    I can’t imagine the penetration would be much different.
    So using Schwartz's formula, that 32 grain flat point load at the claimed 1000 fps should penetrate ~19" of gelatin. That gets my attention a bit.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    DocGKR didn't seem overly impressed, but, it is probably one of the least bad options in 380 Auto
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Shok-Deep-380

5pins has already tested the 380 Hydra-Shok Deep
    https://general-cartridge.com/2020/0...allistics-gel/

I'm really not seeing how that's an inferior choice to a 38 Wadcutter.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I'm really not seeing how that's an inferior choice to a 38 Wadcutter.
    Its really probably not. It just comes with most of the same limitations as .38 WC loads. IE: it doesn't make your .380 into a 9/.40/.45

User Tag List