Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: accuracy vs speed

Quote Originally Posted by petergently View Post
    I am practising various areas of shooting. Mainly first on accuracy. But quesions are how to balance the practice to concentrating on accuracy and speed. For example, if on a 6 yard shooting with my Glock 19 gen 4 with an accuracy most shots within 1 to 1.5 inch of the target, should I move more into practice of speed? And how accurate can I expect to become with "resonable" practice? (I know that is a very vaque question).
    It is good that you are, mainly, working first on accuracy. If defensive shooting is your primary goal, see what has been written about shooting at “assessment speed,” by such members as Wayne Dobbs and Dagga Boy, a.k.a. Darryl Bolke. I am, of course, not the first P-F member, in this thread, to recommend this reading material.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Leaving out .32 or smaller, I've never seen anybody hit in the head stay in the fight. I think everybody who had a hole going into the brain died...eventually. Rounds that failed to penetrate still put the guy down, if not permanently, for long enough to end the fight. I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to be precise, just that in the real world a failure to hit the brain stem will probably accomplish what you want.
    Agree 100%. Hitting someone in the head usually ranges between a fight stopper and a life ender. Even if a round glances off the ogive of the skull there typically is an attitude adjustment. It should not be forgotten - nothing is guaranteed. Unless of course the round has sufficient energy to turn the head into a canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Agree 100%. Hitting someone in the head usually ranges between a fight stopper and a life ender. Even if a round glances off the ogive of the skull there typically is an attitude adjustment. It should not be forgotten - nothing is guaranteed. Unless of course the round has sufficient energy to turn the head into a canoe.
    Minor drift: I saw a 78 year old guy who tried to commit suicide by pointing a pistol (unknown caliber but probably <9 mm strength) under his chin. His face didn't look good but he was intubated and alive. I was called because while in the ER he had an acute heart attack. He went into cardiac arrest and died from that. So....placement is still important with a head shot....and don't smoke. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Minor drift: I saw a 78 year old guy who tried to commit suicide by pointing a pistol (unknown caliber but probably <9 mm strength) under his chin. His face didn't look good but he was intubated and alive. I was called because while in the ER he had an acute heart attack. He went into cardiac arrest and died from that.
    I guess it worked out how he wanted it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Minor drift: I saw a 78 year old guy who tried to commit suicide by pointing a pistol (unknown caliber but probably <9 mm strength) under his chin. His face didn't look good but he was intubated and alive. I was called because while in the ER he had an acute heart attack. He went into cardiac arrest and died from that. So....placement is still important with a head shot....and don't smoke. Carry on.
    I once knew an old guy who, decades earlier in his life, got shot in the forehead by a railroad detective with a RNL .38. He had a depressed little spot on his forehead, the bullet seemed to have passed between all the important bits of the brain and not done much besides knock a hole in his skull. He was able to run off.

Gabby Giffords took a serious brain hit. Took her down instantly, and only a lot of medical care saved her life.

In both cases, if there had been a fight going on, it would have stopped the fight, but there are no absolutes to what bullets do. And as Paul says, placement is still the most important thing.

A character actor you have probably seen, Daniel von Bargen unsuccessfully committed suicide using a handgun and a headshot. He even called 911 himself. Weapon pointed at his temple only managed to blow his eyes out of his head.

Jared Reston (https://restongrouptraining.com/) took multiple rounds of 230 grain ball from a G21 including one in the face/jaw. He finished the fight and saved the court system a trial by sending his attacker to the nether world.

User Tag List