Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karl Sokol Browning Hi-Power. A silk purse from a sow's ear

Site Supporter
    I don't need a Hi Power.... I don't need a Hi Power.... I don't NEED a Hi Power..... But on the other hand, I've never had one....

Very NICE Pistols.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    I don't need a Hi Power.... I don't need a Hi Power.... I don't NEED a Hi Power..... But on the other hand, I've never had one....

Very NICE Pistols.
    Get out of my head! This is where I am. That and I've realized that I love metal pistols and polymer doesn't do it for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post

Very NICE Pistols.
    The Hi-Power is a nice gun but probably not worth the effort in the current market. Clean guns are getting fairly hard to find and they are expensive when they do turn up. Plus there are any number of 9mm 1911s at various price points that arguably are a better pistol. Or at least a pistol with more support.

I guess the ideal "Hi Power replacement" is probably an STI/Staccato or maybe the Wilson Combat EDC X9L. Too bad both of these are so expensive.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-19-2021 at 08:27 PM.

I'm about to send one off to Karl. What do you think of the bluing versus his mountaintuff finish?

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I'm about to send one off to Karl. What do you think of the bluing versus his mountaintuff finish?
    I haven't seen Karl's Mountain Tuff but I haven't generally been pleased with painted finishes. Most seem to rub off very quickly.

You doing the $750 package?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I haven't seen Karl's Mountain Tuff but I haven't generally been pleased with painted finishes. Most seem to rub off very quickly.

One caveat on the above. I had a DSA FAL some years ago that was finished in AZ Response Systems' MetaCol III. That seemed to be very durable. Much more so than KG Gun Kote or Cerakote. I don't know if it was Mark's curing process or what that made it different.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The Hi-Power is a nice gun but probably not worth the effort in the current market. Clean guns are getting fairly hard to find and they are expensive when they do turn up. Plus there are any number of 9mm 1911s at various price points that arguably are a better pistol. Or at least a pistol with more support.

I guess the ideal "Hi Power replacement" is probably an STI/Staccato or maybe the Wilson Combat EDC X9L. Too bad both of these are so expensive.
    My Hi Power Replacements.... which I already have. Thanks for your wisdom on the Hi Power.

Name:  C2.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  81.5 KBName:  RMR 1911.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  71.1 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Not quite… have a couple cool details to add to it.

Your threads definitely put me on track to Mr. Sokol so… thank you for that! I'll detail the project when it gets done.

I'll freely admit that High Powers are a bit of a niche, and how relevant the niche is depends upon how badly bitten you are by the High Power bug.

I will say that a High Power can be nicely updated and made significantly improved for EDC by the ministrations of BH Spring Solutions, Karl Sokol, Heirloom Precision, and others skilled on working the platform.

The most inexpensive way to get your foot in the door currently seems to be by going the surplus Israeli, Tisas, FM or FEG routes (or by getting lucky with a local find or the auction sites).

Best, Jon

I moved away from my Hi-Powers many years ago but every time I see one wearing cocobolo or rosewood grips I tear up just a little bit. I miss my Novak Hi-Power something terrible.

User Tag List