Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl Sokol Browning Hi-Power. A silk purse from a sow's ear

Karl Sokol Browning Hi-Power. A silk purse from a sow's ear

As many of you have seen, I have a thread going about a Browning Hi Power that was worked over by Karl Sokol of Chestnut Mountain Sports. Based on my experience with Karl and that first gun, I decided to send him another.

The original thread is found here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....wning-Hi-Power

The handgun that's the topic of this thread was a "gunsmith special" purchased via GunBroker from Mach 1 Arsenal. It had quite a bit of finish wear and other cosmetic stuff like a crunched/rolled front sight. It also had some sort of crude job of de-horning done to the slide. The flat edges of the slide were roughly beveled by what I believe was a ball peen hammer. The right paddle of the thumb safety lever had been broken off at some point leaving a “fork" at the end of the safety lever shaft. The worst of the abuse was a bent trigger guard. It was bent up slightly in the middle and actually rubbed against the trigger.

Despite the external damage the pistol has a clean shiny bore. Frame to slide fit is decent but the gun was just plain ugly. Mach 1 had appropriately named this a gunsmith special. To me it made perfect sense to send the gun to Karl for a bit of magic.

Before I sent the gun off to Karl I sent the frame to Pullman Arms in Pullman, MA. Pullman Arms straightened out the trigger guard. After this, I put everything back together and then sent the pistol off to Karl along with an EGW hard sear and a set of Navidrex grips.

I asked Karl for his $750 package which is pretty inclusive. To this I requested a Heinie rear paired with a gold bead front. I asked Karl to round off and clean up the broken safety shaft and to dimple the end of the slide stop axle. I also requested a blued finish rather than the painted finish that’s part of the $750 package.

Overall, a spectacular transformation. The gun has truly gone from a sow’s ear to a silk purse!

Here are a few photos of the pistol as sent to Karl:

Last edited by Tokarev; 01-13-2021 at 08:12 AM.

Both Sokol guns together. The second pistol is on top:

With Privateer Leather and Mec-Gar 15 round mags:

I know what you're up to and my checkbook does not think its funny! Instead of the Oscar Mayer Wiener song stuck in my head, I have a Karl Sokol makeover bouncing around!

Site Supporter
    The only custom HP I’ve ever had my grubby paws OB was the one you brought to Gabe White. Very nice pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I know what you're up to and my checkbook does not think its funny! Instead of the Oscar Mayer Wiener song stuck in my head, I have a Karl Sokol makeover bouncing around!
    I'm kind of thinking about Sokol Hi Power Number Three. A T Series made in 1960s with some "retromod" stuff. Maybe a S&W adjustable rear and an old school ring hammer with the bottom of the ring shaved and cut to help prevent hammer bite. Stippling to the front and back strap areas but with small military safety. Maybe polished blued flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The only custom HP I’ve ever had my grubby paws OB was the one you brought to Gabe White. Very nice pistols.
    Thanks!

Very nice, Tokarev. Very, very nice.

Before and after. The front end of the slide was one of the areas I was concerned about.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List