Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

I liked the movies, but I had no connection to the books. I don't care for Tom Cruise much as a person, but I tend to like his movies. I knew people were upset because Reacher was supposed to be a giant badass, but it didn’t bother me much. If anything, a normal sized human that’s a badass is a lot more interesting because he doesn’t have the natural advantage of being a hulking monster. Not that I don't love old school Ahnold or the Rock in over the top stuff but for someone that's supposed to be a bit more of just a tough guy and not a superhero, not being super tall doesn't matter much.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I enjoy the books and have read the series more than twice. I enjoyed the movies, but am glad to see a series with a more true to type character. In these days of COVID (and being retired) I find myself re-listening to Audio Book series from the past. Mitch Rapp is next I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post

Waaaay OT, but years ago, during my undergrad college years, I was working part-time in this mom n pop video store.
    "Be Kind, Please Rewind!"

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

The Jack Reacher books are some of the most godawful writing I have ever encountered. It was immediately apparent after reading two of the books that Lee Child had never been around anyone who was actually 1) in the Army, 2) an MP, or 3) had seen how a gun works before.

After the first "I was an Army MP so I had to be tougher than the Green Berets I would arrest" I fucking rolled my eyes so hard I thought I had severed my optic nerve.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The Jack Reacher books are some of the most godawful writing I have ever encountered. It was immediately apparent after reading two of the books that Lee Child had never been around anyone who was actually 1) in the Army, 2) an MP, or 3) had seen how a gun works before.

After the first "I was an Army MP so I had to be tougher than the Green Berets I would arrest" I fucking rolled my eyes so hard I thought I had severed my optic nerve.
    I'll mark you down as a no then....?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

There's a lot of that sort of stuff going around...(sadly)...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Yeah, but I just roll with it, kind of nod to myself. Plausibility isn't a strong suit in this series, but I still enjoy the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Yeah, but I just roll with it, kind of nod to myself. Plausibility isn't a strong suit in this series, but I still enjoy the books.
    Fun fact: for as much as I hated the two books I read, I really enjoyed the Tom Cruise movies. I have hopes for the Amazon series as well

Fun fact: for as much as I hated the two books I read, I really enjoyed the Tom Cruise movies. I have hopes for the Amazon series as well
    I e never read the books but I agree with several of the sentiments above. From what I know of the books, I think I prefer the movies more. In the movies, absent the books for context, I liked the fact that Cruise was short and unassuming, which led to some of the fight scenes where folks underestimated him. I would ting think that the bar scene, for example (where the girl baits him and he whoops ass in the parking lot) would have ever happened with someone that was 6’-4”.

My guess is that the series is going to suck for anyone not stuck on the physical size of the actor. They’ve pandered to the fanboys with the guy’s size, with no regard for whether or not he can act, and I suspect the rest of the choices they make will pander as well. Or will be hamstrung by Goliath’s god-awful acting ability.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I e never read the books but I agree with several of the sentiments above. From what I know of the books, I think I prefer the movies more. In the movies, absent the books for context, I liked the fact that Cruise was short and unassuming, which led to some of the fight scenes where folks underestimated him. I would ting think that the bar scene, for example (where the girl baits him and he whoops ass in the parking lot) would have ever happened with someone that was 6’-4”.
    I never read the books either and was entertained by the movies (isn't that the point?).

Thanks for putting into words the reason I enjoyed the movies. I agree the bar scene wouldn't have happened with a much larger guy.

Chris

User Tag List