Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    In keeping with the discussion on whether the movie and the TV series are faithful to the books, I'll just mention that I read the book MASH before I saw the movie and I still consider the movie to be the most faithful rendition of a novel to the screen that I've seen.

I enjoy watching some of the classics from the 1930's 40's and 50's, which in general are pretty faithful to the books (most filmmakers must have assumed their audience read the book before seeing the movie). Watched Bogart's version of the "Maltese Falcon" last night. The book gives insights into some of the characters that the movie alludes to, such as the relationship between "The Fat Man" (Sidney Greenstreet), "Joel Cairo" (Peter Lorrie), and "Wilmer" (can't remember the actor). Much better to read the book beforehand.

OK. Halfway through it’s getting a lot better.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    What's the knife that Reacher is carrying? It looked like a Kershaw assisted opener type.
    In the books I think he uses a benchmade 3300

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Other shows, Shooter for example, are not even close and spoil what makes the books and the book character good in the first place.
    I never read Shooter, but enjoyed the movie, and still didn't make it past ten minutes of the series. Maybe making a series of a book that has been made into a movie is even worse.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Craig Johnson was smart with his Longmire series. Each book is a season, so at 18 books in, the clock has ticked forward a mere 4.5 years. This makes it plausible enough for Walt to be an RVN vet and still be up to his hijinx, although not for much longer. I started my new series with a character that is 30 years old and I am borrowing Johnson’s trick of making each book a season, so once I finish the twelve book arc I have planned, the charactr age won’t drive the decision about continuing.

CJ Box has handled the aging of Joe Pickett pretty well. I am wondering how long that series will continue, and if he will spin off the oldest daughter into her own books.
    A couple other aging main characters come to mind.

Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger isn't as young as he was in Point of Impact. He's still running around kicking ass although in reality he would be pushing 80 years old.

Michael Connelly has had a similar aging problem with Harry Bosch although he's starting to show his age in the last few books. Harry would be in his 70s at this point.

Reacher defies aging apparently. The Beirut bombing was nearly 40 years ago. If we guess that Reacher was 25 years old that would put him in his mid 60s. Give or take a year on either side of that so 63 to 67 years old most likely. And the guy doesn't seem to have any arthritis. No receding hairline. Doesn't even need reading glasses. When is the last time he saw a dentist and had his teeth cleaned?

Speaking of hygiene, he only carries a toothbrush. What about nail clippers? His toenails must me nasty....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I never read Shooter, but enjoyed the movie, and still didn't make it past ten minutes of the series. Maybe making a series of a book that has been made into a movie is even worse.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Pick up Point of Impact at the local library. Somewhat dated now obviously but if you read it with the understanding that it is a historical novel I think you'd like it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Could they not have come up with another name besides Roscoe though? Especially for a cop?

All I can think about is:

Attachment 83828
    Them Dukes, them Dukes, them Dukes!
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    In the books I think he uses a benchmade 3300
    Doesn't look like that in the show.

Aging, Lucas Davenport is showing his age. Slowing down, having been shot twice. Trying to stay fit but has physical troubles. His adopted daughter has grown up and is the focus of his next book as a grown up. Love Lette - the book where her house was attacked by cartel members and she was shot in one arm and managed great one handed 1911 manipulation and took both out. Her coup de grace to a wounded opponent was cold and worth of Lucas' touch of psychopath world view. Of course, she had a tough life and fought off a rogue cop with a single shot 22S rifle.

If you recall the 87th precinct books, the main characters switched wars for being veterans. If you freeze your character in a time period, the books become dated as far as technology - of course, you could always be a 1911 guy.

Stone Barrington never ages significantly, or has a store of blue pills around. He does admit that his women friends and he reaching later middle age but still looking good.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    OK. Halfway through it’s getting a lot better.
    Yep.
    --Jason--

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List