Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Tokarev;1172651]Amazon's Bosch is rather unique in that it seems to have stayed true to the book character while changing things enough to make him relevant to a different era. He's not a Vietnam vet for example. And the stories themselves are all adapted from the novels but with enough difference to make the shows worth watching. A different genre entirely but The Expanse is also good in this regard. /QUOTE]

The reason may be that, for both shows, the writers of the books are involved in the shows.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

[QUOTE=Stephanie B;1172724]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Amazon's Bosch is rather unique in that it seems to have stayed true to the book character while changing things enough to make him relevant to a different era. He's not a Vietnam vet for example. And the stories themselves are all adapted from the novels but with enough difference to make the shows worth watching. A different genre entirely but The Expanse is also good in this regard. /QUOTE]

The reason may be that, for both shows, the writers of the books are involved in the shows.
    I'm sure that's got quite a bit to do with it. I doubt Steven Hunter had much to do with the Bob Lee movie or TV show. Both would no doubt have been better with the author's involvement.

It will be interesting to see if Lee Child is involved with a TV series and to what extent. I sometimes get the feeling he got most of his ideas on America and our society by looking at a road atlas and from watching old gangster movies...[emoji38]

Speaking of books into TV; I read the CJ Box books some years ago about the truck driver serial killer and his Montana Highway Patrol partner. I was surprised the TV show followed whichever book. More or less.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Read an article from Lee Child in Playboy many years agO.

He said that what made Jack Reacher the character he is was the wit, intelligence and immense size.

If he had to give up one, it would be his size, as his intelligence is what made him powerful, not his physical presence.

I've read every book , and Tom Cruise is an excellent Jack Reacher

Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    Read an article...in Playboy...
    Sure.

RE: Tom Cruise. Flies his own P-51. Does his own stunts. Good enough for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    RE: Tom Cruise. Flies his own P-51. Does his own stunts. Good enough for me.
    I am genuinely impressed by that. Mostly the “does his own stunts” part. He strikes me as a guy that takes his profession seriously.

He got a backseat F-16 ride in my squadron way back when. Got airsick.
    But did buy a great popcorn machine for the squadron bar.

All in all, I think I’d have a drink with him.

Trailer is out. Size of the guy will appeal to those that were mad about cruise being short.

Having not read the books, idk if the “cocky” way this guys is portraying Reacher is in line with the books or not, but I suppose it fits with his size vs Cruise’s interpretation of a more reserved badass which would be more fitting of his size.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Right size. Way too pretty and cocky.

Still, looks like fun. Will check it out. Thanks for the heads up.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I am genuinely impressed by that. Mostly the “does his own stunts” part. He strikes me as a guy that takes his profession seriously.
    I'm no more impressed with "does his own stunts" than I am with a Quarter Back who runs the ball too much. Not your job dude. And if you really are irreplaceable on a multi million dollar project, then the "does his own stunts" crap is pure hubris that endangers the paychecks of many others.
    His involvement with Scientology turns me off enough that I have a hard time enjoying his obvious acting talent.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Weird...I wasn't a fan of the Bosch books until the series came out. Titus Welliver is Bosch to me.

For a long, long time, Robert Parker's Spenser for Hire was my favorite line of books and I've always said that the original TV series did by far and away the best job of casting I'd ever seen. Robert Urich nailed Spenser's boyish charm and smartass attitude while still being believable when he was serious, Avery Brooks will always be Hawk and Barbara Stock was perfect as Susan Silverman. She wasn't Elizabeth Hurley drop dead gorgeous, but when she smiled, you could see why she always warmed Spenser's heart.

The Reacher books are kinda stupid and I should know, I've read every one of them. I thought Tom Cruise did a great job of capturing Reacher's attitude and I like the movies.

Will definitely watch the series, probably even after Amazon fucks it up.
    Huge Spenser fan. I watched the series off and on, and always enjoyed it. I remember watching one of the TV movie versions and noted in the credits "Based on the book Pale Kings And Princes" and I said hmmmmm. The following weekend I was in the mall at the bookstore and found it and I was hooked. The Godwulf Manuscript was written the year after I was born, and by the time I was out of college I had read everything published in the series to date. I don't remember where the mustard fell off the hot dog, but Parker kinda locked the characters into the series so well that as he he kept pumping out books and cashing cheques they became more....superhuman?

My issue was this: Godwulf was written in '73. Spenser was 36 years old and Korean War vet. Math doesn't really work there, and Inchon is mentioned. (I minored in American History). The sudden right turn early in the series about Spenser's mother... but I overlooked it. Later we meet Susan and Hawk, both of an age with Spenser. By Y2K the lot of them are eligible for Social Security and admit aging without giving anymore numbers. Boston landmarks going away is lamented, the Judas Goat had our heroes visiting the '76 Summer Olympics; all kinds of things made the march of time clear. So over thirty years, no one got hurt, seriously sick or sent to prison. Quirk and Belson had to be the longest seving cops in the US. In the 70s in large departments there weren't many detectives in the Northeast who didn't work 10-20 years to make detectives and those two were old with adult kids in the early-mid 70s.

But they were still out there righting wrongs, messing up people one third to one half their age, getting beaten up. Getting into shootings. I think I gave up when Spenser assembled a team of senior citizens to do something or other and they shot it out with the bad guys victorious but for a few minor flesh wounds. I was done. I still read the series every once couple of years. On a quiet day in I can finish one of most of the books published before about 1990. That is where I draw my line.

The TV series was incredibly well cast. Spenser, Susan, Hawk, Quirk, and Belson in my imagination all look like the TV actors, and those actors nailed the part. When Quirk and Belson get described in the books I have to do a double take because the decriptions are so far away, but the mannerisms and personalities are right there. So are Joe Broz, Vinnie, and King Powers for that matter.

I was such a fan my wife named my son Spenser, correctly spelled, and having to constantly correct the world at large. And only his grandfather gets to call him "Spence".

pat

User Tag List