Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

I know a lot of folks here are fans of the books, and were bent out of shape at the casting of Tim Cruise in the movies. Having never read the books, I’m actually a fan of the Cruise movies. But I also tend not to get too wrapped up in the idea that a movie adaptation should fit my mental picture of a book.

Anywho...

Looks like Amazon has a new Reacher series coming out, and the new lead is 6’2” so, regardless of whether or not he can act, at least he’s the right height..

https://deadline.com/2020/09/alan-ri...on-1234570323/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I do not have anything against Cruise, but I have all of the Jack Reachers books and read them all. Jack Reacher is 6'4" (If memory serves me) and 250 pounds. Steven Segal would have been a closer fit.

Site Supporter
    I suppose you could complain that Ritchson is too pretty to play Reacher, just as hard as you could complain that Cruise is too small.

I did not like Cruise' version of Reacher in either movie. We'll see what Amazon does with Reacher in series mode. It wouldn't be difficult to make one book into an 8 or 10 episode season, similar to Bosch. But, if they try to make Reacher solve every problem within one episode (ala NCIS), I think that would be a fail.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Will it be any closer to correct on US practices, especially firearms?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I’ve said it before: Cruise was a 40/60 cross between the literary Jack Reacher and a Keebler Cookie elf.

This new guy looks to be better.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I did not like Cruise' version of Reacher in either movie.
    Is that because you couldn't get past the fact that the title had "Reacher" in it and you had certain expectations based on that, or because you just didn't like the movies?

i've mentioned here before, I've stopped doing the former with most things (cars, movies, guns, etc.) and pretty much ignore the history associated with the name and instead try and just look at the thing itself.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ve said it before: Cruise was a 40/60 cross between the literary Jack Reacher and a Keebler Cookie elf.
    When I read books, especially series, I have a mental image of the main characters based on the author's description. I've said before that compared to the description in the books, Cruise would have been a member of the Lollipop Guild.

The lead actor in Bosch fits the role. In the books, which began being published almost thirty years ago, he was a 'Nam tunnel rat, so they had to bump him back to the PG War and then Afghanistan to make the timeline work. That's OK.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

The lead actor in Bosch fits the role. In the books, which began being published almost thirty years ago, he was a 'Nam tunnel rat, so they had to bump him back to the PG War and then Afghanistan to make the timeline work. That's OK.
    Concur, on all of it. I think that Welliver’s world-weary Bosch works better than Cruise trying to over act his way into filling a 10-cubic foot helium balloon with only 4 cubic feet of helium.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Is that because you couldn't get past the fact that the title had "Reacher" in it and you had certain expectations based on that, or because you just didn't like the movies?

i've mentioned here before, I've stopped doing the former with most things (cars, movies, guns, etc.) and pretty much ignore the history associated with the name and instead try and just look at the thing itself.
    Cruise comes with a lot of history/baggage. From Top Gun to the MI movies, etc. His Reacher movies were not much different than the other Cruise action movies. Less special effects, similar acting, Reacher story line. Meh. And, I would have liked movie-Reacher to look and act more like book-Reacher. So... Both, I guess.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I wish my dad was still alive to see this series. He was a Jack Reacher superfan and meet Lee Child's at a book signing at a Ft. Bragg PX. My dad said they talked for about 30 minutes. My dad mentioned he was only missing one book from the series and Lee got my dad's address and sent him an autographed copy; he was an even bigger fan after that!
    Alan Ritchson is tall enough, now he just needs to look dumb/ugly and act smart to be Reacher. Maybe this will be something to watch when Bosch and The Expanse are gone.
    --Jason--

User Tag List