Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

It’s says the first season is based on The Killing Floor. Ritchson is 6’4” and 235 pounds. The picture on the link looks good. He looks pretty close to my mental picture of Reacher. I’m in to check it out.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Ignoring the Tom Cruise brand and associated baggage, my issue with him as Reacher was simply his size/stage presence. Some of the books use Reacher's physical size/appearance as a key plot device and if the actor portraying him weren't big and menacing appearing, the plot would have to be fundamentally changed.

In my mind I always pictured someone like Anton Chigurh from No Country For Old Men or perhaps Brutal in The Green Mile, except after a few years on a manual labor crew.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Brutal in The Green Mile, except after a few years on a manual labor crew.
    David Morse would be an excellent choice for Reacher...
    Good size, peaceful demeanor, don't fk with me stare. Good call.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    David Morse would be an excellent choice for Reacher...
    Good size, peaceful demeanor, don't fk with me stare. Good call.
    The only problem is David Morse is presently 67 years old, so that could be an issue.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Will it be any closer to correct on US practices, especially firearms?
    I was in the room at an informal gathering when somebody respectfully tried to talk to Lee Child about some of the clangers he's dropped regarding guns, and he was a right prick about it.

He got into a fist fight once, so he considers himself an expert about that too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    The only problem is David Morse is presently 67 years old, so that could be an issue.
    Well... Good feeling gone.

I read somewhere that Ben Bailey (from Cash Cab fame) tried to get a reading / audition for Reacher before Cruise bought the rights. Hard to imagine Bailey doing something other than comedy, but he does look more like my idea of Reacher than Cruise.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I was in the room at an informal gathering when somebody respectfully tried to talk to Lee Child about some of the clangers he's dropped regarding guns, and he was a right prick about it.

He got into a fist fight once, so he considers himself an expert about that too.
    That attitude comes across in his books. IMHO at this point the books/brand are just a money grab.

When the first Reacher came out, I was thinking that Dwayne Johnson could have made it work.

Waaaay OT, but years ago, during my undergrad college years, I was working part-time in this mom n pop video store. I already was sort of rubbed the wrong way by Cruise’s image/demeanor, and one of his blockbusters had just come out as a new release on video. My manager asks me if I had seen the flick yet, because a customer was asking her about it. “Nah... it’s probably great, but it’s got Tom Cruise in it, and I’m just having a hard time getting excited by that.” “Well,” she responds, handing me the rental tape, “just pretend he’s somebody else. You men are supposed to be able to do that.”

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'm extremely excited for this. Fell in love with the Reacher series after my grandfather shared some of the books with me. Same man who taught me to shoot. I miss him.

He also hated how short Cruise was for the role lol but he did enjoy the first movie.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

I’ve read all the books and loved them all even the new one he co-write with his son supposedly.

Hope Amazon doesn’t screw up the series.

User Tag List