Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I think I may have already mentioned this...

I used to watch Fox News. Had the TV tuned in while cooking supper, etc. But I got tired of the news about a year ago and started tuning in to INSP for old TV Westerns. Mindless background noise.

Anyway, a show called Cheyenne can be pretty decent. Black and White and the usual late 50s early 60s TV stuff. Anyway, I am surprised at some of the similarities between Cheyenne Bodie and Jack Reacher. A lone wanderer who metes out justice and helps the weak whenever possible. Physical size, strength and fighting prowess of the two characters is similar. Both kill when necessary and do so without second thought or remorse. Makes me wonder if Child/Grant wasn't exposed to Cheyenne as a young man and/or via some kind of syndicated rerun in England.

Then again there was also Renegade starring Lorenzo Llamas.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

“He was a cop and good at his job, but he committed the ultimate sin...”

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    “He was a cop and good at his job, but he committed the ultimate sin...”
    He told the chief exactly what he thought of him?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    One thing, when Reacher was shown the Desert Eagle, it had two mags. He took it only with one mag inserted and then ran out of rounds. Now would any of us superheroes do that?
    No superhero, but duh. Not take the spare mag? That's just amateur.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Good discussion..for my money, I like Eric Bana or Karl Urban

Watched 5 episodes and could not force myself to go further. Stupid plot and absurd scenes.

home sick with the (not the panda) flu the past couple days, binged watched this. Guess the fact that I did binge watch it all says I liked it?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Guess the fact that I did binge watch it all says I liked it?
    I'd say that not necessarily. Depends on how you feel about what you watched.

We watched the series at a pretty quick pace too, but after watching it all I feel disappointed. The series started as something dumb but kind of fun, but the stupidity just kept on ratcheting up to what by the time the series reached its final episode were ridiculous levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Yeah, threatening to severely harm a CO is not going to get you very far. Some technical advisors could really have cleaned up telling mistakes. From Episode 2: A detective at a Georgia police department would not call the Georgia State Patrol the "Georgia State Police". And who TF calls the US Secret Service "the secret services division of Homeland"? No one, that's who. But then they use the correct term, "Office of Investigations", to refer to the USSS' investigative arm.
    Fair point Le Francais. I’ve read most of the books and Lee Child has an issue naming stuff correctly. Maybe it is because he is a Brit, but the way some of his characters in law enforcement discuss law enforcement is a little off.

Anyways, when The Killing Floor came out, Homeland Security did not exist - but as I recall, Reacher described his brother Joe’s employer as the “Treasury Department,” which was true but intentionally vague so as to not tip off the reader immediately that we are dealing with counterfeiting, which is a Secret Service remit. How one could vaguely know one’s brother was a high ranking official in the Treasury Department and not know said brother was a Secret Service agent is silly. The inability to correctly describe law enforcement naming conventions and practices is a long running Lee Child thing, and it made me feel at home to know the screenwriters for the series suffer from the same disease.

A lot of Reacher is silly. I think about it as a modern day western set in a parallel universe. Instead of traveling around on a horse, the hero takes a Greyhound.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

The bad FBI guy is holding Reacher at gun point with a 380 something, Sig? I can see that he doesn't want to use his duty gun but a 380 on a giant guy?

The knife does look like my Kershaw, the opening does look assisted rather than automatic. But who knows.
    Sig P230 or P232 no?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    We watched the series at a pretty quick pace too, but after watching it all I feel disappointed. The series started as something dumb but kind of fun, but the stupidity just kept on ratcheting up to what by the time the series reached its final episode were ridiculous levels.
    The fight in Ep.7 was beyond all credibility.

And as for the grande finale, why do the bad guys always run their mouths while they are trying to kill the hero?

User Tag List