Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Given the fight scenes are kind of doofy choreography, I don’t know if I can stick with this. What do the rest of you think?
    I'm afraid the firearms inaccuracies are the least of the issues with that series. The whole script launches pretty far into la-la land, nothing in the especially latter parts of the series is even remotely connected to the real world. The whole series is a TV version of the "safety catch on the revolver" type thriller novels.

I mean, seriously folks. "I know the bad guy is Venezuelan Special Forces because of the type of head butt he used." For fucks sake!

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I watched episode 1, maybe 2. The ID of the first victim was revealed at the end, whatever episode that is.

I didn’t find the need to turn it off, so there’s that.

I also didn’t read the books, and LIKE the Tom Cruise movies. I don’t like the show as much as I did the movies mostly because I find “big guy does big guy shit” kinda boring.
    Been home for a few days, and last night had a few hours to kill, so managed to get through the whole series.

On the one hand, kind of feel like I wasted a bunch of time that I could have spent watching the new season of The Expanse, or finishing Raised By Wolves. Even Peacemaker.

On the other hand, it’s making me look forward to all of those so, so much more.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I mean, seriously folks. "I know the bad guy is Venezuelan Special Forces because of the type of head butt he used." For fucks sake!
    In the books, Reacher is a huge fan of the head butt... as ludicrous as that line was, I thought it was a funny nod to the one of the character's favorite moves.

I think I've read all of the Reacher books, and I still don't consider myself an actual fan...but they passed the time. I enjoyed the Cruise movies, height issues and all, as I felt he really captured the utterly self assured asshole part of the character.

I'm 4 or 5 episodes into the Amazon series and thoroughly enjoying it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I think I've read all of the Reacher books, and I still don't consider myself an actual fan...but they passed the time. I enjoyed the Cruise movies, height issues and all, as I felt he really captured the utterly self assured asshole part of the character.

I'm 4 or 5 episodes into the Amazon series and thoroughly enjoying it.

This is what Tom Cruise got right as Reacher. I think Alan Ritchson started to show this in the last few episodes. The first few he sounded like a bad Sherlock Holmes. I am hoping the second season his acting has improved and he quits being "Hawk" from the Titans.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The Expanse.
    For me the Expanse worked well because the books and the show follow the same story line. A few different characters or some things introduced at different points but the end results are essentially unchanged.

Same thing with Bosch. The character was changed some. Getting along better with Jerry and his lieutenant. But the core stories were quite close to the books.

I think both are good examples of how books can be made into shows with enough change to keep readers interested but also not exclude those who've never read the books.

It has been a good 10 or 15 years since I read Killing Floor but the TV story was very close to the book from what I remember. We'll see what happens with Season Two and what book is used.

I guess now that I'm thinking about it the two Reacher movies were pretty close to the books they were based on. Tom Cruise not withstanding.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    For me the Expanse worked well because the books and the show follow the same story line. A few different characters or some things introduced at different points but the end results are essentially unchanged.

Same thing with Bosch. The character was changed some. Getting along better with Jerry and his lieutenant. But the core stories were quite close to the books.
    For both productions, I believe that the authors were very much involved in things. Unlike, say, the works of Robert parker, whose motto was to take the money and run.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    For both productions, I believe that the authors were very much involved in things. Unlike, say, the works of Robert parker, whose motto was to take the money and run.
    Yes I believe that's correct. Writers of the Expanse books even wrote some of the TV episodes. Not sure if Bosch had that level of involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I'm afraid the firearms inaccuracies are the least of the issues with that series. The whole script launches pretty far into la-la land, nothing in the especially latter parts of the series is even remotely connected to the real world. The whole series is a TV version of the "safety catch on the revolver" type thriller novels.
    Books are pretty much the same. Childs knows little or nothing about firearms. That can be forgiven as a struggling author but he could easily pay a consultant nowadays.

Speaking of Childs who would give his hero the ability to always know what time it is? Must have been something created in a cloud of particularly dense Marijuana smoke.

User Tag List